Feeding Issues on RG45/70

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Knightmare

Feeding Issues on RG45/70

Post by Knightmare »

Okay, so I fixed the buttstock and finished the wood with linseed oil. Now, however, the rifle is acting up. It will feed a round out of the tube mag just fine, but it won't lift it into the chamber. Keeps trying to push it back into the tube, or sometimes it catches just below the bottom lip of the barrel. Problem seems to go away if I try and feed the cartridge with the ejection port pointed at the ceiling.

I am using the Remington Express green box 405 grn soft-points. I fed them through before without issue. My Hornady Leverevolution ammo feeds just fine. I have heard that the Leverevolution case length is less than standard, wondering if that might have something to do with it. I was hoping to get into reloading, especially with cast bullets, but I'm worried the rifle won't feed them. I checked the "guts" for burs and whatnot, saw nothing obvious, but I am a novice at this and might have missed a small one. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Feeding Issues on RG45/70

Post by Ranch Dog »

Have you checked the screws. Particularly the Trigger Guard Plate Screw (26), this particular screw on a RG, 336, or 1895 can cause more headaches than you can imagine! Next in that order of craziness I have observed over the years with my Marlins and now the Rio Grande is: Trigger Guard Support Plate Screw (27), Carrier Screw (28), and a new member just had a feed issue the result of Loading (gate) Spring Screw (38). Any screw comes loose and the timing of the action can go crazy.

As far as reloading, that is all my rifle has swallowed. I don't think I've ever shot factory ammo out of it as far as I remember as I write this. I don't buy much factory ammo at all. I have shot the 525-grain Beartooth bullets out of my RG without issue.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

My thought also would be the trigger guard screws are reversed. I discovered that the first time I stripped mine.
Joe
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

:oops: Well, I am surprised.
Stripped the rifle completely, including the trigger guard plate. Found a dime-sized wad of cosmoline under the carrier (Part 13) that was causing issues. Removed, and the rifle cycled flawlessly. I can't figure out how I missed it the first time I stripped the rifle. Only thing I can think of is it came out of the magazine tube, as I cleaned that after I cleaned and assembled the receiver. Anyway, problem solved.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great find and another Rossi-Rifleman is born! Many would have just sent it back!
Michael
wallythacker

Post by wallythacker »

Ranch Dog wrote:Have you checked the screws. Particularly the Trigger Guard Plate Screw (26), this particular screw on a RG, 336, or 1895 can cause more headaches than you can imagine! Next in that order of craziness I have observed over the years with my Marlins and now the Rio Grande is: Trigger Guard Support Plate Screw (27), Carrier Screw (28), and a new member just had a feed issue the result of Loading (gate) Spring Screw (38). Any screw comes loose and the timing of the action can go crazy.

As far as reloading, that is all my rifle has swallowed. I don't think I've ever shot factory ammo out of it as far as I remember as I write this. I don't buy much factory ammo at all. I have shot the 525-grain Beartooth bullets out of my RG without issue.
Information like this is so good it needs to be cataloged in a sticky. +1