Stripped Screw in Buttstock

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Knightmare

Stripped Screw in Buttstock

Post by Knightmare »

Hi, I am following the suggestions I have seen around here and am refinishing my Rio Grande's furniture. I noticed one of the screws holding the recoil pad was hard to remove, had to coax it out ever so gently. Turns out the hole (not the screw itself) is stripped. Can I fix this with wood putty? I am afraid also of splitting the stock when I reattach the recoil pad.
rzavaleta

Re: Stripped Screw in Buttstock

Post by rzavaleta »

The screws for my .45-70 stripped out on my first shooting session. I found that the screws only passed 1/4" through the recoil pad. I chose to go out and buy 1-1/4 stainless screws in the same size (#10?). I pre-drilled the holes with a 1/8" bit and had no trouble getting a secure fitting. No more problems!

One well-placed round is worth 20 spray-and-pray.
ONE well-placed round beats a whole bunch of "spray & pray" any day!
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

rzavaleta wrote:The screws for my .45-70 stripped out on my first shooting session. I found that the screws only passed 1/4" through the recoil pad. I chose to go out and buy 1-1/4 stainless screws in the same size (#10?). I pre-drilled the holes with a 1/8" bit and had no trouble getting a secure fitting. No more problems!

One well-placed round is worth 20 spray-and-pray.
Thank you so much! Yes, this is probably the route I will go as well. I can't imagine the screws holding on through use with only 1/4'' set into the wood!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Knightmare wrote:Hi, I am following the suggestions I have seen around here and am refinishing my Rio Grande's furniture. I noticed one of the screws holding the recoil pad was hard to remove, had to coax it out ever so gently. Turns out the hole (not the screw itself) is stripped. Can I fix this with wood putty? I am afraid also of splitting the stock when I reattach the recoil pad.
An old remedy for fixing any wood screw that is stripped is to place a safety match into the hole strike end up and bust it off flush with the surface. It will tighten up like a champ.
Michael
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Knightmare wrote:Hi, I am following the suggestions I have seen around here and am refinishing my Rio Grande's furniture. I noticed one of the screws holding the recoil pad was hard to remove, had to coax it out ever so gently. Turns out the hole (not the screw itself) is stripped. Can I fix this with wood putty? I am afraid also of splitting the stock when I reattach the recoil pad.
An old remedy for fixing any wood screw that is stripped is to place a safety match into the hole strike end up and bust it off flush with the surface. It will tighten up like a champ.

I will try that as well, will get the longer screws tomorrow after work. Conveniently, there is a hardware store on my way home. Hopefully the two-pronged approach solves it, love this rifle.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I had the same issue with my RG. I just filled the holes with epoxy and re-drilled. This wood is soft IMO.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I stripped the holes on one of mine and tried some glue in the holes and that did not work as well as I wanted, so. I had a piece of wooden dowel that I think was 3/8". I drilled the holes out , put a shot of titebond in the holes, then taped the dowel in and cut if off a little long. Next day, I sanded it flush and drilled a pilot hole. I think that home depot has hardwood dowels too....if that matters.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

Alright, the rifle's good as new. Got a 2'' long stainless screw for the upper hole, kept the bottom screw factory original. I didn't take into account that the sling swivel is right there on the stock, a 2'' screw in the bottom hole will hit the swivel. Luckily, it was the top hole that stripped. Thanks to all for the info and tips given!
johnreilly

Post by johnreilly »

I have used the Gun Nut II from Recoil Less Engineering several times including on my own Rio Grande. You can get them here: www.recoil-less.com

I think they are the ultimate repair for this issue. A self-threading steel insert that includes the matching machine thread fasteners and Hex Wrench for installation. I like them.
BeerHunter

Post by BeerHunter »

johnreilly wrote:I have used the Gun Nut II from Recoil Less Engineering several times including on my own Rio Grande. You can get them here: http://www.recoil-less.com

I think they are the ultimate repair for this issue. A self-threading steel insert that includes the matching machine thread fasteners and Hex Wrench for installation. I like them.
Now you just cost me some more money. Mine aren't stripped [yet] but I'm going to order a set for my RG4570S, just in case! Great post Mr. Reilly!
NRA-RSO, SAF, GOA, MSI, MSRPA, SLSC
FFL 03, MD Designated Regulated Firearms Collector

Love My RG4570S but until Braztech revises their "restricted" parts list, I'll not buy another or recommend the brand to anyone else.