shooting the 45-70 and smoking

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: shooting the 45-70 and smoking

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I has a question about the Rio Grande in 4570.
Is the 45 70 shooting say a pretty heavy hunk of lead, got enough barrel to get it moving top speed.
Now I know ya cant push lead all that fast but for what I would use it for I would want it going as fast as reasonable.
I seen them Italian units with 30 inch barrel, is that just a waste?

Now I do valuble long barrels for the balance for my self, but I like shorter ones as I can haul em in my BOB trailer, behind bicycle,,,,,I know, I crazy 65 miles in a day hauling Tent, Sleeping bag, pillow mattress, stove GUN ammo, food and Water over some steep ass--d hills,,I love down hills,,,,
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

donhuff wrote:Shot my 45-70 Rio some yesterday. I needed to empty some brass so that I could load up some of my new powder coated slugs for testing.

First off was some 405s with 8.5g 800X. I think that if I was a smoker, I could pull the trigger and light one up and get half way through with it before the bullet hit the steel at 100 yds, like BOOM..........ting. Then after about 20 or so, I switched to the same slug but with 38.0 IMR 4198 :shock: ouch, it's been a while since I shot it last time. I looked at the lady to my right and she had that, I can't believe you just did that, look on her face. You know the sympathetic look that tells you she knows your not all there! Then I looked to my left, and the guy two benches down said "now that's more like it. I felt my britches legs move from the shock wave". I looked back at the lady and stuck my tongue out. I think it has something to do with seeing me get knocked off the bench, and the size of that big bullet that makes people think it's a BIG BOOMER, cause to me the guy shooting a 7 mag is a lot louder.

It was kinda odd to see all the smoke from the lube again, as I have been shooting the powder coated stuff lately. Almost like shooting black powder. Boom, wait, wait, now I see the target! One guy said "do you load your own?" yes...."I could tell when I smelled the smoke". Well, now not only am I stupid for liking something that kicks, but I also STINK!
I have several 45-70 leverguns with barrel lengths from 18.5" (Marlin Guide Gun) to 22" (Miroku Winchester 1886 Extra Light) to 24" (Pedersoli 86/71) and they move 430 grain hard cast lead slugs at anywhere from 1720 - 1950 fps depending on the gun & load used.
The recoil is significant but not uncomfortable.......different people handle recoil differently. I handle recoil like I was made of rubber.......it doesn't bother me.

I own a Baikal MP221 SxS (double barrel) in 45-70 and have wondered what it would be like to clamp the two triggers together and discharge both barrels at once..........I think this will remain a "thought experiment" and I won't try it in the field. :mrgreen:

If you're going to fire watered down, Mickey Mouse loads from your 45-70 you might as well get a Rossi 92 in 45 LC or 454 Casull and save yourself 2-3 pounds carry weight.

I own some heavy hitters that make a 45-70 seem like "kids stuff" (for example a 7.6 pound Savage Brush Hunter in 375 Ruger, a 8 pound "chopped" Remington 700 in 416 Rem Mag) & have no problem handling the "kick".

I don't have a Rio Grande in 45-70 though I do have one in 30 WCF that my 90 pound niece can fire.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've got the Miroku 1886 Winchester TD 26" Octagonal barrel and the crescent buttplate.
LOVE the gun.
Made up some H335 loads near Lyman level 2 max and the gun was decidedly more energetic than with factory fodder but still painless and FUN!

I can't help but wonder if those 700X loads feel like light 45 Colt loads out of a 94 Winchester trapper.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Hey Don I found some footage that is all you..... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Skunkhome

Post by Skunkhome »

I have a .45-70 Mauser that I built in the late 1970's. In my search for the most accurate load I settled on a 400gr JSP backed up with a maximum load of IMR3031, a modification of a Ken Waters' super tier 3 loads. Even though the rifle weighs 10lbs loaded it still lets you know when the sear breaks. I used to load all week and burn them on the weekend with my shooting buddies. How big and black your bruise was on Monday was a badge of honor. As I got older I was less impressed by the bruising and went in search of a less than maximum yet equally accurate loading. I never found it! It has been a while since I've shot the rifle.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wow, that is a beautiful rifle. I search for years for a bolt action 45-70 but finally lost the drive.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Def. A rare custom rifle nice
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!