Ranch Dog's RG 45-70!

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ranch Dog's RG 45-70!

Post by Ranch Dog »

I purchased the RG4570B from a local dealer in mid December. Stuck a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 on it and was zeroed at 100-yards in only seven shots! I put the eighth shot through this spike a few days later!

It has a very good blued finish, slick action, and the best trigger feel and pull on any lever gun in my stable. The woodwork is kind of basic but it really suits me and would be very easy take care of any nicks or scratches that come up down the road. It would also be a good candidate for a TruOil refinish should the need arise.

I'm quite the Marlin man so this is really stepping outside of the box for me but I wanted a lighter weight rifle than the 1895 series. I think Rossi has done very well and having been very pleased with a number of Taurus semi-autos and revolvers, I felt confident with my purchase.

The only issue I have with the rifle are concerning the cases which are being scratched as they cycle from tube to chamber. The case rim was being suffering as well but I found a burr on the bolt face which I dressed. That issue is corrected but a complete takedown did not reveal the source of the scratches that are appearing along the length of the case. Came here to read about the 92 DVD as I figured it might contain some tips that would make it worth the purchase.

Bottom-line is that I'm very pleased with the Rio Grande 45-70! Here are a few more photos of my 45-70.

Here is the sight in target I used.

I had two WW factory rounds which I shot at 50-yards after bore sighting the scope. I made an elevation adjustment and shot the five rounds of ammo I had for my Guide Gun. It is 52.5-grains of Benchmark with my TLC460-350-RF bullet which pressure tested at 30.0K PSI in my Guide Gun. I felt comfortable with the load after taking some barrel measurements/chamber impression and comparing them with the trace data I've collected in the 1895s. Eventually, I suspect that I will be shooting this rifle at 35.0K PSI but I'm going to motor along at 30.0K PSI while I pressure trace Benchmark, BL-C(2), H322, H335, H4198, H4895, Leverevolution, and Varget.

As far as the scratches I mentioned, I would think that it is caused by the carrier or chamber mouth. The carrier seems slick.

The weight is exactly why I was interested in the rifle. I'm looking for a "Ranch Carry" big bore and the 1895 series are too heavy in my opinion. The rifle is a light carbine, weighing in at 6# 3 oz. Once the sights were removed and my Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 mounted, 6# 14 oz. Perfect, exactly why I was interested in the rifle. Less sights and the same scope, my "G" (Guide Gun) weighs 7# 14 oz. and my "MR" (1895 450 Marlin with 22" barrel) 8# 5 oz. Honestly, I'm tired of lugging the Marlin Big Bores around (I have eight of them altogether).

I've been toting it around daily since I've bought it and it is a pleasure to carry. When I shot the spike, I did not even notice the recoil.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Ranch Dog's RG 45-70!

Post by pricedo »

I was wondering as to the strength of the Rio Grande action in the .45-70 version.
How warm can those hand loads be?
Will the rifle handle the LeveRevolution &/or Cor-Bon factory loads? :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:I was wondering as to the strength of the Rio Grande action in the .45-70 version.
How warm can those hand loads be?
Will the rifle handle the LeveRevolution &/or Cor-Bon factory loads? :?:
The Owner's Manual, like that of your 30-30, states it can handle the LeverRevolution stuff. I'm running mine at 30.0K. I haven't shot it as much as I would have hoped for at this point, been working with pistol bullet designs through the month of January, but should start being able to have time in a week or two to start putting more pressure behind it.

This week after getting my RG3030B back, now a 38-55 Win, I've started to think about buying a piloted throat reamer with a 3°taper to make the gun a bit more cast bullet friendly. That 38-55 Win came back cut exactly to the SAAMI spec just like the 45-70 is. With the over-bore requirement of a cast bullet, I need a bit more throat than what has been cut in these chambers. I go to work today but the one thing I'm going to do for both rifles next week is make a chamber impression and probably order a throat reamers from Pacific Tool. My Scout Rifle should be here next week as well and I will look at the chamber cut on it. I really like the cut to SAAMI spec over the Marlin "whatever you get" cut, it just needs to be tailored it a bit for cast bullet use. My rifle as a 30-30 Win could have used the work as well, it required just a little bit of set back to accommodate my bullets at the designed OAL.
Michael
insector

Post by insector »

Do you notice any difference in recoil between your rossi and marlin guide gun in 45-70? Is the rossi noticibly lighter once in hand? Is there a difference in the rossi and the marlin (with the ballard type for lead cast bullets)twists in the bore?

Does the quality of the rio grande match that of the M92?....................YO

:!: :?:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

insector wrote:Do you notice any difference in recoil between your rossi and marlin guide gun in 45-70? Is the rossi noticibly lighter once in hand? Is there a difference in the rossi and the marlin (with the ballard type for lead cast bullets) twists in the bore?
My 1895G weighs in at 8.9#, the RG4570B at 7.9#, one pound lighter. It is lighter in hand, especially the further you need to go. Yesterday late afternoon, I left my house in search of a sounder of hogs that are hitting some of my food plots. As I patrolled my senderos on foot I covered about 3 miles before dark. As I walked back up to the ranch house I said what I seem to say each time I go out, "thank God I wasn't toting a Marlin". I'm 57 years old and live in the outdoors and feel I'm in great shape. I have had shoulder surgery on both shoulders which causes me to at least notice the weight of what is in my carry may be more than others.

As far as recoil goes, the Rossi does have more of a bump at the shot. Shot while hunting it is unnoticeable. My rifle is loaded to 30.0K PSI right now. I load my Marlin at 42.0K PSI so the recoil comparison is tough to guesstimate. I do quite a bit of pressure trace shooting and I always figure my daily limit for a RD fully house load with either my 1895G or MR is about 60 rounds of ammo. Throwing a number out there, I think I would initially plan about 30 to 40 rounds with the RG.

If you look down the barrel, they both look the same. The only measurable difference is that the Rossi is at the SAAMI spec where the Marlin isn't. The Marlin has a lot of chamber space, extra freebore, throat, step and leade. Don't know why, just the way they have always done it. For cast bullet shooting the Rossi could use a little more taper in the throat to help accommodate the case neck swell from an oversize cast bullet. I've ordered a piloted throat reamer with a 3° to help with that. This reamer is a hand tool that is self aligning. You just ream just enough so that you can chamber the cartridge.
insector wrote:Does the quality of the rio grande match that of the M92?
I don't know the answer to this yet. I'm a new Rossi guy and can to this manufacturer via the Rio Grande first. I do have a R92 enroute, not the way I prefer to have bought one but there are none available locally. Believe it or not, South Texas is not really levergun friendly. This is the land of the serious bolt gun. This said, a gun shop opened in town last week and he is going to carry every levergun in current production. He had a R92 and it looked very nice.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
insector wrote:Do you notice any difference in recoil between your rossi and marlin guide gun in 45-70? Is the rossi noticibly lighter once in hand? Is there a difference in the rossi and the marlin (with the ballard type for lead cast bullets) twists in the bore?
My 1895G weighs in at 8.9#, the RG4570B at 7.9#, one pound lighter. It is lighter in hand, especially the further you need to go. Yesterday late afternoon, I left my house in search of a sounder of hogs that are hitting some of my food plots. As I patrolled my senderos on foot I covered about 3 miles before dark. As I walked back up to the ranch house I said what I seem to say each time I go out, "thank God I wasn't toting a Marlin". I'm 57 years old and live in the outdoors and feel I'm in great shape. I have had shoulder surgery on both shoulders which causes me to at least notice the weight of what is in my carry may be more than others.

As far as recoil goes, the Rossi does have more of a bump at the shot. Shot while hunting it is unnoticeable. My rifle is loaded to 30.0K PSI right now. I load my Marlin at 42.0K PSI so the recoil comparison is tough to guesstimate. I do quite a bit of pressure trace shooting and I always figure my daily limit for a RD fully house load with either my 1895G or MR is about 60 rounds of ammo. Throwing a number out there, I think I would initially plan about 30 to 40 rounds with the RG.

If you look down the barrel, they both look the same. The only measurable difference is that the Rossi is at the SAAMI spec where the Marlin isn't. The Marlin has a lot of chamber space, extra freebore, throat, step and leade. Don't know why, just the way they have always done it. For cast bullet shooting the Rossi could use a little more taper in the throat to help accommodate the case neck swell from an oversize cast bullet. I've ordered a piloted throat reamer with a 3° to help with that. This reamer is a hand tool that is self aligning. You just ream just enough so that you can chamber the cartridge.
insector wrote:Does the quality of the rio grande match that of the M92?
I don't know the answer to this yet. I'm a new Rossi guy and can to this manufacturer via the Rio Grande first. I do have a R92 enroute, not the way I prefer to have bought one but there are none available locally. Believe it or not, South Texas is not really levergun friendly. This is the land of the serious bolt gun. This said, a gun shop opened in town last week and he is going to carry every levergun in current production. He had a R92 and it looked very nice.
Big shops with lots of guns on the rack is the perfect Rossi buyin territory.
Rossis are fruit you want to pick up close & personal right off the tree.
A lot like like buying pups to train for huntin dogs......you don't tell the breeder to truck you X number of dogs.........you go to the kennel & pick em out yourself.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA