Just bought a scope....

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Nodnarb

Re: Just bought a scope....

Post by Nodnarb »

akuser47 wrote:that is true I was thinking of my answer after 20 is a bit small objective for a qaulity scout scope. Sir you are correct depending on the type of qaulty scope though it could still serve that capacity if setup correctly.
10 4. I have never owned a lever action with the scout scope setup so all the info is much appreciated. But let me tell you, the next lever action will definitely have that setup. I am still trying to figure out how to make it work on the RG3030. :D
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I still think you have potential with this scope nikons I have had were more tactical but all had great glass for the money. Try her out and see what she does. I truely think a 3by9 40mm objective of qaulity durris luepold and such and you would have a match made in heavon.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Nodnarb

Post by Nodnarb »

akuser47 wrote:I still think you have potential with this scope nikons I have had were more tactical but all had great glass for the money. Try her out and see what she does. I truely think a 3by9 40mm objective of qaulity durris luepold and such and you would have a match made in heavon.
All of my rifles have Nikon scopes. I have had a couple of Burris and Luepolds and were happy with them but for some reason I always go back to Nikon.

I don't know about a 3-9x40. For my needs that would be serious overkill. I run a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 on my Savage 22-250 and it is perfect for those 300 yard shots while coyote hunting. My shots with the RG3030 wont be any further than 75 yards...MAYBE 100...a big maybe.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nodnarb wrote:My shots with the RG3030 wont be any further than 75 yards...MAYBE 100...a big maybe.
I would think that scope would be perfect for your purpose.
Michael
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

I have a 1x4 power on my 10/22. 90 ft field of view at 100 yards on 1x. Good for running shots.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

There are a lot of small footprint scopes for the 100 yard or less guns.
I use the 2-7x33mm Leupold Rifleman scope on a lot of my heavy hitting rifles.
I own & use various Bushnell Trophy scopes in the 1.5-6x33mm range on several other guns.
An ancient 2 1/2-8x40mm Bushnell ScopeChief IV scope with the "Command Post" reticule is still serving me well on an equally ancient Ruger M77 30-06 bolt action.
All of the above have performed very well for me.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

Nodnarb wrote:I don't know about a 3-9x40. For my needs that would be serious overkill. I run a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 on my Savage 22-250 and it is perfect for those 300 yard shots while coyote hunting. My shots with the RG3030 wont be any further than 75 yards...MAYBE 100...a big maybe.

I have to agree with you on that large of a scope. Anything larger than 32mm objective lens has to be mounted too high on the receiver. The majority of leverguns don't have a raised cheek piece on the stock like you see on most bolt action rifles. That raised cheek allows you to keep your face planted on the stock, and still be able to see through scopes with huge objective lens'. That's also the reason why so many guys hate see-thru scope mounts, it's harder to be accurate when your face isn't touching the stock.

I can't help but think that you're going to love that scope on your Rio Grande. It might not have any magnification, but it will bring everything in focus. With open sights you're trying to line up both sights with the target, and your eye can only focus clearly on one thing at a time. When you use a 1x scope, the whole shot picture isn't any larger, but the view is clearer and it's easier and more accurate to put the crosshairs on the target.
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
Nodnarb

Post by Nodnarb »

I just finished mounting the scope and let me tell you...I am very pleased so far. Fast target acquisition and crystal clear glass.

As you can see, the front sight is visible through the scope. Something I am going to have to get used to I guess??

I know, the crosshairs look crooked in the picture but the scope is level as all get out :)

akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I like it! Nice
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Nodnarb

Post by Nodnarb »

akuser47 wrote:I like it! Nice
Thanks!! I am definitely going to have to order the hammer extension.