Stock finish? Dissatisfied

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
dos0711

Re: Stock finish? Dissatisfied

Post by dos0711 »

How about some pics of your handy work!
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

pricedo wrote: The cheap Rossi shoe polish (which it probably is) served as a good dark color pigment for the oil.
Cleaning with mineral spirits would have been counterproductive as the stripped, cleaned and oiled gun stocks I've seen look too light and "anemic" & stripping and cleaning would have been way too much like work. :mrgreen:
That was my take on it as well - Experimenting on un finished areas of the stock suggested that nothing I had was going to stain the wood dark enough to get a walnut color, and I am not a fan of blonde looking wood, or lighter "walnut" stained birch colored wood.

I did however take the stock and fore end off to "finish" them, as it's only a 5 minute process and ensures the metal is not scratched or gooped in the process.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Just lay down a little bit of masking tape in w/m contact areas then SLOP ER ON. :mrgreen:
Put the tape on the metal....not the wood.
A little TO getting into the w/m contact area serves as a water seal til the next major stripping/cleaning after hunting season and then you can reseal with TO while you're touching up the finish.
You can only do the sealing operation effectively while the wood is ON the gun.
There's method in my madness.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA