Rossi Ranch Hand by Steve Gunzs

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
Meirbubba

Rossi Ranch Hand by Steve Gunzs

Post by Meirbubba »

Just purchased a Rossi Ranch Hand 38/357 from Steve Young at Steve's Gunzs. He gave me a fair price with all the upgrades. He sent it out today and I should have it by the beginning of next week. Can't wait.
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Rossi Ranch Hand by Steve Gunzs

Post by Warhawk »

I think you're going to like it. I've had him tune up two Rossi 92 rifles. One of them was very rough out of the box and Mr Young made it just as slick as any 92 I've ever handled.

This is my Ranch Hand, also a 357. I need to get some upgrades ordered for it. I'm thinking about swapping that big loop lever for a standard lever too.

Meirbubba

Post by Meirbubba »

Why are you thinking about a standard lever and where can you buy them?
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

I just don't care for the big loop lever. Steve Young has said that he would trade me for a standard lever for $25.
kliff
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kliff »

If I don't change the big loop for a small stock loop, then the hack saw, welder and torch are gonna come out. It is just TOO big...
kliff
AR15, 5.56mm home made
'71 Winchester NRA Centennial 30/30
336 Marlin 30/30
Henry Big Boy 45LC
Rossi M92SS 45LC
Rossi Ranch Hand 45LC
Rossi Rio Grande 45-70
Ruger Black Hawk 45LC (x2)
Taurus Judge 45LC/.410
Taurus Tracker 357
Colt Gov't Mod
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

I'd like a smaller loop on the lever also. I think. I tried shooting mine like a rifle, which was not so bad except fit finding a good way to grip it with my firing hand.

Umm, I'm going to have to give a name to an area to explain this. That piece of the lever that runs behind the trigger, closing it off, separating the lever into two sections to form the trigger guard and lever loop- I'm going to call that the Lever Divider for lack of a better term. I ended up with my thumb planted against the back of that lever divider area and my trigger finger on the trigger and sort of "pinching" the trigger between those fingers to fire it.
That worked, but I let my other fingers dangle down into the big loop and with stout loads, that loop came back and gave them a brisk whack a couple of times.
So I didn't like that "feature" of the big loop.

Then I tried using that big loop as a pistol grip. I'd just grasp around the front of the lever loop and shoot. That worked pretty well.
So it sorta caused and corrected the same problem.

I have to wonder if one of the wedge shaped lever loops would work better at that.

Someone could probably come up with a lever that served as a grip and also had an inset ring that if the thumb was hooked through, could be used to run the action.
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by twobitokie »

I want one also, strictly a toy, the big loop is just part of it. I had a big loop on my mod 92 and wound up sellilng to a mate in Austrailia. I would not put one on a serious rifle. I just dont walk down the street shooting a rifle all that often. Nor would I take to the range, it is an open country gun so no one can critisize (or how ever the hell is spelled) me. Because in 1972 I go my first 44 mag and reload and cast for it, the only caliber that I would consider is 44 mag. I would even have to spin it acouple of times, unloaded of course. where I live old cars and hot rods abound, a mares leg would just be my 1928 "Tub" . or my strato caster, or whatever. no wife either to complain.