front sight

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

front sight

Post by twobitokie »

even though I have installed a laser sight on my RH, it has a square notch for a rear sight.

Hwever, the new rear sigh is markedly higher than the stock rear sight. Has anyone changed the front sight on RH yet, what size did you use?
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: front sight

Post by Rooster59 »

You mean a "fiber optic" rather than "laser" sight?

You should be able to source a front fiber optic bead from Marbles or Williams very near the same height as the stock sight if not exactly the same height. Just measure the stock sight from bottom of dovetail to top of bead.

Both manufacturers have a list of available heights a page long on their websites.

Or...... maybe I completely misunderstood you altogether.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I wonder if the aftermarket will drive right into the common unstandard dovetail slot though I would hope that the aftermarket is slightly bigger then you could just use a file and fit it carefully. Unless the ranch hands have better cut dovetail (in spec) slots than the 92,s I have messed with.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by twobitokie »

the laser sight, a laserlyte 10/22 unit from LASERLYTE, fits in the rear sight dovetail, uhhhhh ummmm almost. it takes a shim that is made out of a coke can.

a little of which can still be seen.

the intire set is not as wide as the forend
but is higher than the stock rear sight. ERGO a higher front sight is needed.

If the gun is already shooting high, than a much taller front sight will be needed.

Just how much higher is the question.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Now I get it. Instead of a shim have you considered laying on a thin coating of JB Weld on the bottom of the sight? After it dries file it down to fit snug like you would any other new sight that starts out too tight to get into the dovetail. I've done that with a front sight that was already fitted to a different rifle that had a slightly snug dovetail.

As far as a front sight, order one too tall from Skinner and file it down to suit you. Skinner has a tech page with the formula to use to determine how much taller/lower your front sight should be if you can feed it current information on how high yours shoots now.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by twobitokie »

Rooster, is any special prep on sight required for sight, filing, roughing up, etc.

I have never used J&B before, is it useer friendly?
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

It's very user friendly. Farmers in my family have used it for decades.

Just clean up the area with rubbing alcohol and let dry. No roughing up necessary on this.

Then mix up some each tube on a small piece of cardboard. It will take less than a dab of each the size of a pencil eraser. Mix with a toothpick until the white and black pastes blend to an even gray color. Takes about 60 seconds. Smooth on a thin layer with an old plastic squeegee, broken feeler guage, etc. Anything smooth with a straight edge.

Place it to dry so nothing touches the JB or it will get attached. If you just hold it for a few minutes it will stiffen enough not to run or drip. Let harden 24hrs and start filing/sanding.

Jeff