New Ranch Owner

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
mtnstryder

New Ranch Owner

Post by mtnstryder »

Hello and Happy New Year to all Rifleman every where
I’ve ben a member of this forum for 2 years now.I joined because I wanted to buy a 92 in 454 to match my BFR
That never happened and I sold 2 motorcycles and 3 guns to buy a Big Horn Armory 460 model 90.
I still want a 92 in 357 I can hope,But today I bought my first Rossie a Ranch Hand 44mag.It was a closing for good sale at a long time favorite gun store.The Ranch Hand had been setting in the case kind of hard to see for a long time brand new for $575.00. I I offered $375.00 and here it is.I’ve read every post on the 92 now I have to read up on the Ranch Hand.I have learned a lot on here thank you.
or here it is not I have tried I just can’t post a photo.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New Ranch Owner

Post by akuser47 »

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=486
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4719

The threads above explains the usual trouble from image issues.
You got a great deal on that ranch hand well done.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Yep, enjoy the RH. As long as you dont expect too much practicality out of it youll like it

Now abour your 90A, how is it? Those BHA carbines are pricey but man are they nice
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes, that is a heck of a deal!
Michael
North Idaho Shooter

Post by North Idaho Shooter »

Congrats!! That was a great deal. I paid $475 for mine a couple of months ago.

I think that you'll find they are a real hoot to shoot! If it's like most, it will probably shoot tremendously high at close range. For your first rounds, you may want to take a low hold with the sights. For mine, I aim at the bottom of the paper to hit near the center of the target.

Have fun!!!
mtnstryder

Post by mtnstryder »

I wont get a chance to shoot the Ranch Hand for awhile yet its -28 here in Vermont and not going to warm up anytime soon.
The Model 90 is a great gun but not smooth at all.I will be sending it back for some needed work.
mtnstryder

Post by mtnstryder »

+guns We had a short spell of warm enough temp,s here in Vermont to get out and shoot the Ranch hand.I slapped together a 2inch but pad and loaded up with some winchester 240grain.At the first shot I saw the sight problem.
I loaded up 6 more and handed the “handgun” to my buddy and said it shoots a foot low He shouldered it it with my slapped together but pad and hit all 6 jugs of water at 25 feet.On the last shot the gun flu up out out of his front hand and his thumb hit his face,but he had a big grin as we searched for the lids and bits of plastic blown out 30 feet more.The but pad was toast.We both agree this 44mag has more felt recoil than my 454. Back to the drawing board .
Two weeks later. I looked on line at leather stock covers saw how they were made and aded 2 inch to the end which I stuffed tight with some very dense and hard foam took it apart and re did it until I had a very solid but pad that laced on easy and kept the whole gun just under 26 inches.Next I found a very old full buckhorn sight that sat much lower than the cheap rear sight. It fit.Off to find a place to shoot.
With the front bead held down in the notch on the buckhorn sights I ENJOYED MY NEW TOY!I HAD 3 brands of 44 and a few 44specials It hit at point of aim every time and was a lot easier to hit what you wanted than my buds 7inch revolver.With the 2 inch pad touching my shoulder my left hand pulling forward my trigger hand pulling back we made very accurate shots from 10feet out to 50 yards 3 guys shooting and nobody could miss.
I am now confident in the 44mag ranch hand as a game getter .Its my new truck gun.
mtnstryder

Post by mtnstryder »

I forgot to ad the other things I did to the Ranch Hand.It was a 2005 model with no wear the action was easy and worked with all loads so nothing to fix there.I took out the mag. spring and cut a inch at a time until I could load 7 rounds in the tube.So 8 rounds with 1 in the chamber.Works good but Its hard to load the last round.I’m going to order a new spring and follower then take a little more off until 7 rounds go in and feed easy.

P.S. I am a hand loader but only 45lc,454,45/70 and 460mag I like heavy cast bullits anyone care to share a few good loads for 44mag ?