What to expect when youre expecting...

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

What to expect when youre expecting...

Post by GRV01 »

...a new Ranch Hand!

Finally found one NIB from lets say a very obscure source and after mailing my payment today theyll be shipping it amd my FFL should have it by next week! I realized ive wanted one for four years now since i first bsaw them online and now that theyre discontinued its either buy it now or spend double on a Henry and that awful brass finish and loading tube. Surprisingly therr were a few in 44 and 45 but this ones the *only* one i found in 357

After reading this thread im trying to compile a list of tgings to look for and do.
- Check barrel alignment/installation to verify sights are at "12 oclock"
- Check usual Rossi stuff like finish, wear, burrs, etc
- change rear sight to fix "shoots high" problem
- change from large loop to small loop (wifey and i are shorties with small hands)
- buy single point sling for use with saddle loop (later a scabbard!)

Anyone else have anything to add to the list? Furthermore, any pointers on where to find a small loop? Can/should i order that from Rossi? And fornthe rear sight i read the Marbles flat rear sight works best but how about the Bullseye sight? Would that go low enough?

Thanks, and wish me luck!
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: What to expect when youre expecting...

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Mazeltov! When I saw "Marbles," I first thought you meant the tang mounted peep sight. Which got me to wondering, would a peep work on a Ranch Hand, given a big enough aperture? One of my hypothetical issues with the Ranch Hand is the short sight radius, and a tang sight would certainly improve that. I was going to recommend a NOE rail and a red dot, but not if you have designs on a future scabbard.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Appreciate it, ill be passing out cigars here in a week or two :D

I hear you on the short sight radius. Honestly though i cant stand the look of those tang peep sights, i know i know, blashpemy. Really though, knowing how ill be using it (and my own...humble...skill as a marksman) if it shoots well out to 20yds with justchanging tje rear sight ill be happy. Anything farther and ill get my 20" :)
No thin chicks
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Yup, patient acceptance of the inherent limitations is a fine approach.

Are you fixin' to replace the crappy plastic follower?
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Id like to, i saw StevesGunz has the stainless one for sale. Ill need three though :D and then ill have to look up how to do it. As a side note unfortunately he doesnt have any standard size loops it seems

Im excited for the Ranch Hand, honestly. I really hope its not a braztech lemon though. Im dreading a repeat of some horror stories from this board like barrel not installed correctly etc *fingers crossed*
No thin chicks
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

IF you need 3 of the followers it may be worth your while to look at the Smith Shop.
IF you are already buying at Steve's and you only need one it may be better to get it from him.
Check your options and remember to include shipping. They are both good vendors and stand up folks based on my interactions with them.
juliano191

Post by juliano191 »

Go here for the Stainless follower as well in the event Steves doesn't have em. Not sure of tbe price difference. Just another avenue. $19 shippped.

http://www.thesmithshop.com
Retired New Jersey Police Sergeant
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Thanks for link. I see both sites sell stainless magtube springs, shouod i just replace those while imbat it?
No thin chicks
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I haven't although I've considered it. For the most part I don't expect to have to replace the magazine spring any time soon.
I also haven't cut down my mag spring like many here on the site. IF I'd cut them down, was intending to cut them down, or if I'd picked up a gun that I suspected of having a cut down mag spring I'd be more likely to have picked up spares.

I had intended to do the tear down and smooth out described on the Steve's Gunz video and purchased the vid before I got the gun(s). When I got the guns and examined most of the areas where smoothing was recommended most of those edges were already broken and not sharp. Once I wiped out the preservative and ran the action through 1000-2000 cycles changing the lube each 500 cycles the action was pretty smooth. I've had several folks tell me that mine works the way they wish their 92 did. I'm sure I could slick it up more but I've also seen several YouTube vids where somebody goes a tad too far and winds up needing to replace parts.

I WILL wind up tearing the whole thing down and I WILL check out the internals while I'm at it but unless something is really screwed up I don't expect I'll do much other than POSSIBLY knock off some edges on the loading gate. (Again haven't had the problems everyone else has there but I've been running lever actions for 30+ years and avoiding getting my finger pinched is second nature.) The biggest reason I'm planning on tearing them down is to refinish the wood and make certain it's sealed.

One of my buds recently ripped his apart and could not manage to get his magazine tube out of the forend I'm not sure how they got the tube in there but it looks like it was either a press fit or the wood was soaked AFTER the tube was inserted and swelled to the point of cracking the web between the barrel and the mag tube.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Just brought home our newest addition to the family! Would post a pic but its just over siZe limit, any help there?

Was going to go to range tomorrow but got called in, do thatll have to wait til next week

First impressions - Good: ITS SO COOL! Im geeking out here holding this thing. I know its impractical as all get out but im so glad i pounced and bought one especially considering them getting discontinued. Also, the actions smooth out of the box, ejects rounds great, and loading gate is actually easier than my 20" 92. It cycles 38 wonderfully without issue

Bad: i know ill have to change the rear sight, but that aside i was right in that i knew i wouldnt like the large loop. It looks neat but having enough room in that lever to shoot wearing boxing gloves is too much for my tiny hands. So there goes ~$120 for the smaller standard lever. Worst of all though is it hangs on every or every other 357 round. Im having the problem where the loading angle seems a bit too steep on the ramp and it binds. I either have to finagle the lever back and forth or manually "tip up" the round a hair on the base and push it into the chamber. Cant remember the cause off the top of my head but i have seen it on these boards so ill have to do some research. I cycled both FMJ and JSP in 357 to no avail. Of a full magazine of 6+1 ill only have one or two feed well

That aside, i couldnt be happier!
Last edited by GRV01 on 24 Feb 2017 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
No thin chicks