Ranch Hand discontinued?

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!

Re: Ranch Hand discontinued?

Postby CavScout » 23 Feb 2018 11

GRV01 wrote: <snip>
Im telling you, Rossi with the 92 line, Ranch Hands, Circuit Judge, and Rio Grandes could (or should) be making so much money

I believe the Rossi 92's will continue to thrive, as long as CAS remains popular.

The 12" Mare's Legs were so thoroughly pooh-poohed by "Experts" that Rossi bean counters probably didn't see numbers they liked enough to keep the line going.
Probably likewise for the alternate caliber Circuit Judges that weren't replicated in the Taurus Judge line. :cry:
Last edited by CavScout on 23 Feb 2018 11, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
CavScout
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 20 Feb 2018
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 14 times
My Rossi Choice: Circuit Judge
Location: OR

Re: Ranch Hand discontinued?

Postby CavScout » 23 Feb 2018 11

GRV01 wrote:I know one place they were popular was Canada since as a non restricted pistol, one could pack it into the woods <snip>

Ironically, even though Canada has restrictions on handguns, the ML is considered a "Rifle" there.
Also, they have no SBR restrictions there, so they are free to purchase a full-length buttstock, and convert a ML to a 12" Trapper, like once offered by Winchester.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
CavScout
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 20 Feb 2018
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 14 times
My Rossi Choice: Circuit Judge
Location: OR

Re: Ranch Hand discontinued?

Postby Mad Trapper » 23 Feb 2018 15

If Rossi keeps making the ranch hand, I will pick one up and get the SBR tax stamp.
Right now Im using the 16" trapper in 44 mag.

Image
Image
Image
it is what I grab when I head out on the property, especially in the thick brush.
I lost a lot of my hearing while in the military, and I have a tendency to walk up on the wildlife before I hear them.
But that 12 to 14" barrel would be a little handier and faster.
Right now im working on a 94 AE in 30-30.
Had it cut down to 16.25, then matched it up with a ruger blackhawk 30 carbine.
Image
I need to take some better pics.
Both are new and unfired, as of this writing.
Mad Trapper
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 248
Joined: 03 Aug 2013
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 44 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: Daniel Boone Forest

Re: Ranch Hand discontinued?

Postby CavScout » 23 Feb 2018 20

Mad Trapper wrote:If Rossi keeps making the ranch hand, I will pick one up and get the SBR tax stamp.
Right now I'm using the 16" trapper in 44 mag.
<snip>
it is what I grab when I head out on the property, especially in the thick brush.
I lost a lot of my hearing while in the military, and I have a tendency to walk up on the wildlife before I hear them.
But that 12 to 14" barrel would be a little handier and faster.
<snip>


I really like your Go Bag!
Not to sound kinky, but I love Fine Leather! :oops:

Keep an eye on GunBroker... There are two .45 Colt RH's on there now.
That 92 action should handle hot Buffalo Bore .45 Colt Hunting loads just fine... and of course LEVERevolution.

I also lost hearing with years of ordnance. And with Sneak-n-Peak Tactics... NO Earplugs! :cry:
My VA Hearing Aids are not suitable for gunfire, but fortunately I still hear some twig snaps without them!
Walker Game Ear has some OTC solutions from cheap to $$$.
User avatar
CavScout
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 20 Feb 2018
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 14 times
My Rossi Choice: Circuit Judge
Location: OR

Re: Ranch Hand discontinued?

Postby Mad Trapper » 23 Feb 2018 20

CavScout wrote:
Mad Trapper wrote:If Rossi keeps making the ranch hand, I will pick one up and get the SBR tax stamp.
Right now I'm using the 16" trapper in 44 mag.
<snip>
it is what I grab when I head out on the property, especially in the thick brush.
I lost a lot of my hearing while in the military, and I have a tendency to walk up on the wildlife before I hear them.
But that 12 to 14" barrel would be a little handier and faster.
<snip>


I really like your Go Bag!
Not to sound kinky, but I love Fine Leather! :oops:

Keep an eye on GunBroker... There are two .45 Colt RH's on there now.
That 92 action should handle hot Buffalo Bore .45 Colt Hunting loads just fine... and of course LEVERevolution.

I also lost hearing with years of ordnance. And with Sneak-n-Peak Tactics... NO Earplugs! :cry:
My VA Hearing Aids are not suitable for gunfire, but fortunately I still hear some twig snaps without them!
Walker Game Ear has some OTC solutions from cheap to $$$.


Thank you CavScout.
I made those saddlebags a few years back.
Any time I travel any decent distance from home, I take those saddlebags and a firearm.
The bags hold 1 lb of jerky, instant coffee, fishing kit, fire starting kit, camp knife with stone, water filtration kit, box of ammo, (50 rds of 44 mag), map, compass, small pair of binoculars.
Bedroll contains a 8x10 lightweight bushcraft tarp, paracord, 4x8 piece of canvas, two mylar emergency sleeping bags.

Thank you for the gunbroker tip, I will keep a lookout.
I was a paratrooper from 80 to 84, Grenada Invasion rifle squad leader.
Firing the 81 mortars while at Ft Bragg, felt like my ears were bleeding.
Mad Trapper
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 248
Joined: 03 Aug 2013
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 44 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: Daniel Boone Forest

Re: Ranch Hand discontinued?

Postby CavScout » 23 Feb 2018 20

Mad Trapper wrote:Hey CavScout,
That is a nice looking mares leg.
I think I will try the kerosene rag rubdown on my 92.
I like a nice traditional wood look.


After sleeping on it for a couple of nights... I remembered that I was also using Denatured Alcohol for a solvent back then.

If a Kerosene Rag doesn't immediate start collecting Creosote, try switching to an Alcohol Rag.

Dispose any used rags in a safe manner to prevent potential fires!
Most of those problems came from rags used with vegetable oils... Linseed, Tung, etc.
User avatar
CavScout
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 20 Feb 2018
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 14 times
My Rossi Choice: Circuit Judge
Location: OR

Re: Ranch Hand discontinued?

Postby CavScout » 23 Feb 2018 21

Mad Trapper wrote:Thank you CavScout.
I made those saddlebags a few years back.
Any time I travel any decent distance from home, I take those saddlebags and a firearm.
The bags hold 1 lb of jerky, instant coffee, fishing kit, fire starting kit, camp knife with stone, water filtration kit, box of ammo, (50 rds of 44 mag), map, compass, small pair of binoculars.
Bedroll contains a 8x10 lightweight bushcraft tarp, paracord, 4x8 piece of canvas, two mylar emergency sleeping bags.
<snip>
I was a paratrooper from 80 to 84, Grenada Invasion rifle squad leader.
Firing the 81 mortars while at Ft Bragg, felt like my ears were bleeding.


I had a series of strokes that took about 80% use of my left hand and arm... it also screwed up my equilibrium, so I can't safely walk through the woods anymore.
I have a Polaris Ace I use to get out to my old stomping grounds now. My Survival Kit is in a Cargo Box in back.
I have packable Rain-wear, and a Poncho/Liner for emergency warmth or shelter.
My primary navigation is an 8" Tablet with GPS Navigation Apps, tucked up in a bubble under my roof.

I wasn't directly in Combat in Viet Nam as a Merchant Seaman... the GI's protected us quite well. Saigon was like a Thunder and Lightning Storm outside the City at night. We left Saigon about 6 months before Tet!
Most of my Ordnance hearing loss came from over 20 years of Patrol Training in the National Guard, and being too close to blanks, along with Grenade and Artillery Simulators... and Flash-Bangs! :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
CavScout
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 20 Feb 2018
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 14 times
My Rossi Choice: Circuit Judge
Location: OR

Re: Ranch Hand discontinued?

Postby Mad Trapper » 23 Feb 2018 21

that alcohol should do the trick.
Thank you CavScout.
When I worked the wood on the rossi 44, I took 0000 steel wool and just rubbed it down to bare wood.
Then added coats of tru oil,
Then I finished it off by burnishing it with a piece of an old wool blanket, rubbing it back till I got the sheen I wanted.
Mad Trapper
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 248
Joined: 03 Aug 2013
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 44 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: Daniel Boone Forest

Re: Ranch Hand discontinued?

Postby Mad Trapper » 23 Feb 2018 21

I like that polaris.
Have you got a rifle scabbard mounted?
A ranch hand would fit real nice in there.
Mad Trapper
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 248
Joined: 03 Aug 2013
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 44 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: Daniel Boone Forest

Re: Ranch Hand discontinued?

Postby CavScout » 23 Feb 2018 21

Mad Trapper wrote:that alcohol should do the trick.
Thank you CavScout.
When I worked the wood on the rossi 44, I took 0000 steel wool and just rubbed it down to bare wood.
Then added coats of tru oil,
Then I finished it off by burnishing it with a piece of an old wool blanket, rubbing it back till I got the sheen I wanted.


Next time you're around a Marine store, look for some Bronze Wool. It won't leave those irritating steel whiskers in the wood pores.

An added benefit is Bronze Wool with Kroil is great for removing light surface rust... WITHOUT harming a blued finish. Flitz is also handy to keep around for cleaning a blued finish!
User avatar
CavScout
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 20 Feb 2018
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 14 times
My Rossi Choice: Circuit Judge
Location: OR

PreviousNext

Return to Ranch Hand

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

  • Advertisement