Ranch Hand discontinued?

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Ranch Hand discontinued?

Post by Mad Trapper »

Hey CavScout,
That is a nice looking mares leg.
I think I will try the kerosene rag rubdown on my 92.
I like a nice traditional wood look.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum CavScout!
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome! Where have you been?
CavScout

Post by CavScout »

HarryAlonzo wrote:Welcome! Where have you been?
Probably not what you were asking for! :lol:

States:
1) Alabama
2) Alaska
3)Arizona
4) Arkansas
5) California
6) Georgia
7) Idaho
8) Louisiana
9) Mississippi
10) Montana
11) Nevada
12) Oregon
13) Tennessee
14) Texas
15) Utah
16) Washington
17) Wyoming

North America:
1) Canada
2) Mexico

Central America:
1) El Salvador
2) Guatemala
3) Honduras
4) Nicaragua
5) Panama

Asia:
1) Formosa
2) Hong Kong
3) Japan
4) Okinawa
5) Philippines
6) Viet Nam

Otherwise, I've been on several firearm forums, using variations of CavScout for user ID
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for your service!
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Nope, that answers the question. Thanks!
CavScout

Post by CavScout »

My 2¢...
A possible reason the Rossi Ranch Hand went away could be due to the 12" bbl, 24" OAL design... The same format as most modern "Mare's Leg" releases.
At that length, too many people tried hold it and shoot it like a Trapper Carbine.

The original three Mare's Legs (Laigs) had 9" bbl's and 19" OAL.
That was only 1" longer than Hugh O'Brian's 18" OAL "Buntline Special" from the same period.

The intent of the TV series producer, John Robinson was to provide the series lead character, Josh Randall, with a unique sidearm. It was never intended to be handled like a longarm... in fact, none of the prop guns had sights!

Steve McQueen was coached in point-shooting, and could hit cans at ten to twenty yards, using live ammo.
He could also out-draw several other TV Western leading actors of the period, using the rig he wore on-screen!

That didn't really matter since hits and misses on the screen were written in the script! ;)

The very large "D" lever that is seen in the opening and closing credits was only seen in episodes 1-13.
The new modified teardrop lever and fanning hammer were first seen in episode 14.

Steve's Gunz has modified several Ranch Hands to more accurately mimic the originals, by shortening the barrel and buttstock, and reshaping the lever.

Now that Chiappa offers two 9" bbl Mare's Legs 21" OAL (round and octagon bbl's), I'm hoping the concept will gain new interest, when viewed as a Sidearm.

Many other gun forums have gone dormant on the topic after numerous Love-Hate exchanges by members.

I'm glad I found this thread for an opportunity to post my ideas on a firearm that i feel deserves another chance, when viewed as a sidearm.
Mares Laig1.jpg
Aiming1.jpg
Aiming2.jpg
Aiming3.jpg
Aiming4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

I know one place they were popular was Canada since as a non restricted pistol, one could pack it into the woods

Im telling you, Rossi with the 92 line, Ranch Hands, Circuit Judge, and Rio Grandes could (or should) be making so much money
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I personally have less than zero use or desire for one but I am proud we have choices (when the manufacturers give us choices).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
CavScout

Post by CavScout »

GasGuzzler wrote:I personally have less than zero use or desire for one but I am proud we have choices (when the manufacturers give us choices).
That was kind of the point I was trying to make.
Not every firearm that comes to market needs 100% acceptance.

I've never owned an AR Rifle/Carbine, other than the M-16's and M-203's I was issued in the Military.
I prefer wood and steel... like the M14's I saw the GI's use when I was in Viet Nam... The M1 Garand I was issued in Coast Guard Boot Camp... and the Mini-14 I was issued as Tower Guard at Soledad State Prison.
I currently own my second Mini-14. And many times wish I had kept the M1 Carbine I bought at Monkey Wards back in the early 70's! ;)
My only "Black Gun" is a Walther H-K MP5 SD 22LR!

About 4-5 years ago, many threads on various gun forums had "Old Sage" members insisting a ML was useless, in response to any questions from neophyte members about recommendations.

The Love-Hate pattern I mentioned before was pretty much directly proportional to "Hands On" experience.

When it came to fun-factor, nostalgia, reliving childhood memories... comments fell under the "Love" column. ;)

I don't have "Quick Draw" leather for my ML, and I don't have any illusions that I will be clanging targets, shooting from the hip. But, if I rest the forearm over my left wrist, and use the sights, I can bring my spinners to life at 25 yards! Good nuff for me! :)