Rossi really should fix this issue!

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
jh45gun

Rossi really should fix this issue!

Post by jh45gun »

Well I know why the guy traded in the Ranch Hand I bought. He did not want to mess with it as he could not hit anything. Now I knew going into this the Ranch Hand had a reputation for shooting high on the lowest setting of the sight elevator. How High? Well this gun at 25 yards was shooting about 18 inches high and that is with the Elevator on the lowest setting! Taking the Elevator off only changed it lower by a couple of inches. So you either buy a higher front sight or a replacement rear sight or both. Or file the rear sight which I did. Gun was also shooting to the right so that was an easy fix by drifting the front sight over to the right. That got it even and took care of the Windage issue. I asked my friend to bring a suitable needle file to file the sight when we went shooting but it was a cheap one and wore out before I could get the sight filed enough. I could hit the aiming point by taking just the very top of the bead in the very bottom of the notch by now but I still needed to go deeper. So when I got back to town I went and bought a good set of Stanley Needle files (they call them hobby files) and finished the job. I will go out this morning hunting and bring the Ranch Hand along and finish sighting it in.
It is accurate from what little shooting I did once I could hit the aiming point with the extreme fine sight picture. I was surprised when I got done shooting at the target I shot it at a black plastic square thing about a foot square some one left at the gravel pit half way up a sand hill. I ranged it at 128 yards. Shooting off hand and using the very fine sight picture I was a foot low. Using the whole bead I was a foot high. The bead covered up this square at that distance so the gun would have to be regulated to shoot at that distance using a 6:00 hold which is what I was using. There is no doubt in my mind that using a rest you could consistently hit a target at that range.

Considering that this gun has proven to be accurate others have shown this to be as well, Rossi is doing the gun a disservice by not putting the correct sights on it. I am positive the guy that owned this gun before I did and traded it off has nothing good to say about it which is unfortunate. I wonder how many folks have done the same thing? Rossi/Taurus are you listening?

On the positive side the gun's trigger is great and the action is smooth and the gun handles the recoil well it is fun and pleasant to shoot. I like it. I think it is unfortunate that Rossi has not addressed this issue as it is well known on the internet these guns do shoot high as is.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rossi really should fix this issue!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Poke around here, I have a post with on info for replacement front sights.

All grammar and spelling errors courtesy of my DROIDX and Tapatalk!
Michael
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

Will do I know that Steve'as Guns have them. Going hunting talk at ya later
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jh45gun wrote:Will do I know that Steve'as Guns have them. Going hunting talk at ya later
I bought a front sight from SG but the base was the wrong width for the round barrel, way to wide and unsightly. These are Marbles sights and Buffalo Arms is a better source with a complete selection at quite a better price.

Here is my topic about the sights:Marbles Front Sight Selection

It seems that the tallest sight, .530", will only lower the point of aim 5". The taper of the barrel is a bit too much for a sight to overcome. Based on your report, the sight is going to need to be about .75" in height!

The Ranch Hand should have simple combat sights like a handgun. I wonder if any are made for the 3/8" dovetail. Something like these night sights that I shoot on my Taurus conceal carry handguns. Both front and rear use a dovetail. I think Skinner has dovetails that go into another dovetail. Adapters if you will.

Michael
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

I am pretty sure the dove tails on the Rossi's are not 3/8th.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jh45gun wrote:I am pretty sure the dove tails on the Rossi's are not 3/8th.
You might be "pretty sure" but having bought and installed front sights on my BrazTech R92s, I am CERTAIN that they are 3/8" dovetails. Dovetail length at the maximum depth determines the spec. I just remeasured my five R92s and two Rio Grandes and they are 3/8" (.375") exactly.

The proper sight width of the Rossi round barrel, I won't speculate on the octagon barrels as I don't own any, is .340". Marbles sells only .340" and .531" width bases. The SG bases, which are Marbles, are all .531" and they look like warts on the round barrel. A .340" width base fits the dovetail perfectly.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 10 Nov 2012 15:28, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrected dovetail definition.
Michael
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

Ranch Dog wrote:
jh45gun wrote:I am pretty sure the dove tails on the Rossi's are not 3/8th.
You might be "pretty sure" but having bought and installed front sights on my BrazTech R92s, I am CERTAIN that they are 3/8" dovetails. Dovetail depth determines the spec. I just remeasured my five R92s and two Rio Grandes and they are 3/8" (.375") exactly.

The proper sight width of the Rossi round barrel, I won't speculate on the octagon barrels as I don't own any, is .340". Marbles sells only .340" and .531" width bases. The SG bases, which are Marbles, are all .531" and they look like warts on the round barrel. A .340" width base fits the dovetail perfectly.
OK thanks I am going on what some one else said. I shot it again today with the sight filed down and I can hit POI at 25 yards good enough for now for shooting at a deer close range. I also just cut "ears" down so instead of a full buck horn sight it is cut down more like a flat top sight. This helped a lot so the sight picture looks more normal than looking at the bottom of a long slot.