Just bought a Ranch Hand in 45 Colt.

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
jh45gun

Just bought a Ranch Hand in 45 Colt.

Post by jh45gun »

i have drooled over one of these guns ever since I watched Wanted Dead or Alive as a kid. That was 54 years ago I was 6. :P I called a local gun shop in the next city next to me in an other state and they had a slightly used one in 45 Colt. They had a new 44 mag and a new 357 but I wanted 45 Colt because I already reload for it. I traded in a Uberti Cattleman on it and an other gun to get it. The Uberti with the old top strap groove just was too hard for me to see with my 60 year old eyes and the other gun was a safe queen. Did good got the gun I wanted and 85 bucks cash. Works for me. I probably took a bit of a bite on the trade but that is typical your never gonna come out 100 percent on a trade at a gun shop as they are in business to make money not to play musical chairs with merchandise. I will get it this afternoon. WI has a 48 hour waiting period for handguns and the gun shop I bought it from had to deliver it yesterday to the gunshop in my state from MN. Looking forward to this. I plan to use it for hand gun hunting it is doable.
jh45gun

Re: Just bought a Ranch Hand in 45 Colt.

Post by jh45gun »

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It has got to be tough to hold on to...
Michael
doskiez

Post by doskiez »

Ranch Dog wrote:It has got to be tough to hold on to...
I have always been curious how these shoot. Let us know when you get it to the range.
Rio Grand .45-70
Many more guns, reloading equipment, etc etc.
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

I put a Uncle Mikes Magnum Split barrel band for a quick detach swivel on the magazine tube and made a sling that goes over the shoulder and out to the barrel band. I had this set up for my Encore also it makes for a sturdy rest when shooting off hand as your pushing the gun out and the sling steadies it.
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

They shoot great once you do something about the sights. As is they shoot about 18 inches high with factory sights at the lowest setting. you have to put a higher front sight on and a lower rear sight or file the existing rear sight down like I did.
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

jh45gun wrote:They shoot great once you do something about the sights. As is they shoot about 18 inches high with factory sights at the lowest setting. you have to put a higher front sight on and a lower rear sight or file the existing rear sight down like I did.
JH what height front did you end up with or did you just file the rear down?

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

Art I filed the back sight down to the bottom of where it is dished out in the front of the sight. This then resulted in doing some elevator work to see past the elevator so I filed the top step flat with to match the next one down so it does not get in the way of the sight picture. With the sight in the lowest step in the elevator the bead rest in the notch and sets on top of the elevator. Not perfect but at 25 yards I am shooting tennis ball size groups at where I am aiming. I probably will go with a peep sight and fiber optic front sight arrangement later but wanted to get this shooting to POI for our deer season. Since I have a disabled permit I can shoot from my vehicle. One of the reasons I bought this gun was for that reason just for close range to the truck shots. Anything else I will use my guide gun in 45/70 or my 6.5 Swedish Mauser for those long shots. Plus as I said I always wanted a gun like this ever since I was 6 and watched Dead or Alive. :mrgreen:
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Ya I also man, I loved that show! Front sights and marbles bullseye rear came in but now I'm in hunting mode. My 92 in 357 shoots at the moon, hopefully these will help.

Good luck! Watching six does now...

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

What Front sight did you get? Let me know how that combination works out for you. I was thinking of that rear sight instead of the sight that takes place of the safety. I have no issue with it and would leave it.