geewhiz

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

geewhiz

Post by twobitokie »

I just noticed that the cute little leather thong on the saddle ring just wraps around the saddle ring and keeps the noise down from hitting on the receiver. pics later
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: geewhiz

Post by Ranch Dog »

Not always. The trouble with the Rossi is that the ring is not mounted in a stud but rather a staple. The staple's orientation allows the ring to move in the horizontal fore and aft and it rattles as you walk. Marlin and Winchester rings are mounted in a stud and their orientation allows the ring to move in the vertical. With that positioning gravity, holds it down even when walking so it is truly silent.

I do a lot of hunting and quickly learned that the ring will deliver the costly metallic click at the worst possible time so I cut the ring off of both of my scout rifles with a bolt cutter which resolved the issue. I still have the staple in the side of the receiver.

Not sure why Rossi would machine such an unsightly installation into the side of the R92 of John Browning's clean receiver as his drawings did not call for one. Luckily, both my 357 Mag and 480 Ruger do not have the saddle ring installation.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

twobitokie wrote:I just noticed that the cute little leather thong on the saddle ring just wraps around the saddle ring and keeps the noise down from hitting on the receiver. pics later
My Rossi 92s I am glad to say have no such ring.
My size 13 hunting boots function very well as noise makers (if I'm not being careful) with no assistance needed from another mechanical noise maker attached to the gun.
If I acquired a 92 with a saddle ring I'd saw it off and grind down the spuds, polish and re-blue within the first hour of ownership.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by twobitokie »

naaaaaaaa, just lace the tong thru the staple and them wrap the ring. quite as a field mouse.