Sights to lower point of impact

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
JKdriver

Sights to lower point of impact

Post by JKdriver »

Good after all
I am an occasional visitor to the Rossi Rifleman Forum. I have a Rossi 92 (20 in) in both .45 Colt and .357/.38. I enjoy shooting both and even use the .45 Colt for deer hunting here in Ohio.
I recently was overcome with nostalgia and purchased a Rossi Ranch Hand in .45 Colt. My experience at the range (seems to be shared by others) is that it shoots high.
So I am asking for advice on replacement sights. I might also ask of a good place to order or in store purchase the sights. I would prefer sights designed for a Rossi or similar guns.
Thanks!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Sights to lower point of impact

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

You'll need a taller front sight. Maybe a call to Steve at Steve's Gunz would solve the problem. He sell sights that fit the Rossi levers but i'm not sure about the RH.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
uswajk

Post by uswajk »

Please Help....I ordered a taller front sight from Steves gunz which was manufactured by Marbles. The sight is loose and would require JB weld or a shim to secure it in place. Also,this part really bugs me, there is a gap between the bottom of the sight and the barrel. After looking online, this seems to be a similar problem with skinner and Williams front sights.
Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a front sight for the ranch hand that fits properly?

Thanks!
Donald

Post by Donald »

Mine's in .44 Magnum, but I find the factory sights work fine, so long as I have the bead in the bottom of the valley as shown below:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve-R
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Steve-R »

uswajk wrote:Please Help....I ordered a taller front sight from Steves gunz which was manufactured by Marbles. The sight is loose and would require JB weld or a shim to secure it in place. Also,this part really bugs me, there is a gap between the bottom of the sight and the barrel. After looking online, this seems to be a similar problem with skinner and Williams front sights.
Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a front sight for the ranch hand that fits properly?

Thanks!
I have only 1 Skinner front sight. No problem with it. I have had several Williams sights, same story, no problems.

My guess is Rossi cut the dove tail too deep. I would just go with the epoxy. It's good stuff.
barracudadave67

Post by barracudadave67 »

You Can also use shim stock to tighten sights in dove tails. I have don e that on some rifles I own. Also peening over the sides of the dove tail with a ball peen hammer will work also.
barracudadave67
uswajk

Post by uswajk »

I spoke with Marbles today and they said that Rossi manufactured two different size dovetails. Which would explain why some sights work and some do not. If you find yourself with the larger dove tail, skinner sights seem to be the only sight manufacturer that has one that fits.
uswajk

Post by uswajk »

Well it seems that Steve from Stevesgunz's doesn't know as much as Marbles and Skinner Sights. Both Companies confirmed that Rossi made two different size dove tails and Skinner went so far as to making a sight for that gun. Not only did he refute what both other companies agreed upon, but refused to refund me the money for the sight which didn't fit without charging me a restocking fee. So not only did I pay for an item that doesn't work and pay shipping, he wanted me to pay shipping back and pay him for putting it back on the shelf.
I'm sure people have had good experience with Steve, but I assure you it's only when nothing went wrong with the transaction. You see what kind of a business person is when they have to stand behind their product.
Joe S.

Post by Joe S. »

Interesting...

I haven't had an issue with him either and all the sights i have ordered from him have fit well. i have ordered about 4 or 5 front/ rear sight combos...

Sorry to hear you have had a problem.

For what it is worth, I have read that the flat top rear sight, or the bolt mounted peep sight works to lower POI on the Ranch Hands.

I just ordered the latter. I hope it works.
Joe S.
Central MS

Leverguns, single actions, and single shots.