Spin Cock Your Ranch Hand?

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spin Cock Your Ranch Hand?

Post by Ranch Dog »

As Chuck Conners did. Anybody try this (hopefully with dummy rounds)? Here is a page describing the motion: http://www.riflemansrifle.com/Guns%20Ma ... /Page3.jpg

Note that the rifle is modified with a spring loaded plunger to prevent the cartridge from being slung out during the forward travel!

This link is for the complete index to the article: http://www.riflemansrifle.com/may1960.htm

[youtube][/youtube]
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Spin Cock Your Ranch Hand?

Post by akuser47 »

Looks to be a tuff trick to do safe and accurate.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Conman

Post by Conman »

That takes way more practice than I am willing to put up with...............

BUT, I always marveled at Lucas McCain's handling of the Winchester Model 92...............

He was GOOD.....

This gent wasn't bad either.
Joe S.

Post by Joe S. »

Never did with any ammo in the gun but i used to spin cock my 45 when i owned one with a big loop.

Is fun til that front sight hits your bicep. Would be perfect for me with a 14" barrel. A true trapper. Thanks Uncle Sam...
Joe S.
Central MS

Leverguns, single actions, and single shots.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Just revisted this, sure brings back memories, thanks for sharing this
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I won't even twirl a SAA clone. Things like this cross my personal boundary of not respecting guns enough for what they are. That and I know I would just drop it and probably break something.
dalek

Post by dalek »

I guess I am the one of the few to admit I have done it. First with a Henry Mare's leg .22LR and now with a Ranch Hand. I have never done with live ammo but do have snap caps for both, which IMHO is specifically important with the .22 (chance of dry firing).

If you look at the movement, the only time the lever starts to close is in the last 30 degrees of the loop; the rest of the time the lever is leading and the gun is following. That said, I do not suggest you doing that with live ammo, which I guess is why the guy in the old Western only spun it after he ran it empty. But, my point is that I do not think you run as much a risk of shooting yourself as people claim if and only if you spin it smoothly and do not stop spinning it halfway in the loop. i.e. lever closed = boom can happen.

The empty shell, or snap cap in my case, seems to come out around 90 degrees from the starting point... I think. I am not really sure; I will need to do it again and pay attention. I think it does not come out when you initiate the movement because the bolt did not have enough energy/time to move all the way back.