Why a Ranch Hand?

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Why a Ranch Hand?

Post by akuser47 »

I have the Henry 22 version and love it she shoots accurately. I can even shoulder her and shoot like a tiny rifle. I just cannot see using it, unless other options are no longer available. I do on one hand think if I had to worry about bears n such in my yard I would have one in 44 mag over a plain ol pistol. Just my opinion.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Carlsen Highway

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Its not just that tv show - "The Rifleman" or something similiar (we never got it here) but there is one of these exact same versions of a 92 in the first scene from "Once Upon A Time in the West." Some (Italian) hombre shoots Charles Bronson with one. I watched it again last night for the second time in twenty years and noticed it.
coyotebc

Post by coyotebc »

Just because I wanted one
I can pretend that I am going to put a full stock on it and use it as my quad/camp/hiking/bush gun
But really it was just for fun
It should arrive here Monday

PA
In Canada I can put a full stock on it
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

I have a 16 inch 357 mag and absolutely love shooting it just simply because it's so fun to shoot. Does the ranch hand have the same fun factor? I'm looking to get another model 92 in 45 colt and curious about the ranch hand. Is it at least as accurate as shooting a big revolver?
coyotebc

Post by coyotebc »

Well mine arrived and I shot it
Not a fan, it feels awkward to me
So a full stock is going on it
Then it should make a nice quad and camp gun
JKdriver

Post by JKdriver »

Sometimes just wanting something (Ranch Hand) is a good enough reason to buy/have one.
They are fun to shoot and look cool getting many comments at the range.

Hope your friend enjoys their Ranch Hand,
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

coyotebc wrote:Well mine arrived and I shot it
Not a fan, it feels awkward to me
So a full stock is going on it
Then it should make a nice quad and camp gun
We both have such odd gun laws. :roll:
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Do all the Ranch Hands have a fatter stock???
Zant264

Post by Zant264 »

Here in Canada taking a handgun into the woods is verboten. This is the next best thing.

Though I might get a full size stock for it, even then it is still nice and short. Yes we can do that here.
yycadm

Post by yycadm »

I'm new to the forum, also in Canada. I wanted a Ranch Hand for protection in the bush. I'm on a Search & Rescue team on the edge of the Canadian Rockies. We frequently get wilderness calls, & we have a LOT of Black Bear & cougar, along with wolves & plenty of coyotes. We're used to seeing them on every search & it's only a matter of time before an encounter goes sideways.

Initially, the plan was to leave the Rossi in original form. I discovered pretty quickly that although it was fantastic to carry in the brush, it wasn't ideal to get an accurate shot off under stress. A full 92 stock fixed that problem double quick. Although it added 7 inches overall, it's still far & away the shortest rifle I own, ready to shoot. I have a Keltec sub2K that's a bit shorter folded, but it's not ready to shoot in that condition, unlike the Rossi.

I carry it in a short tactical scabbard on my pack, and can deply it and fire a round in around 1 second. I love how naturally it comes to the shoulder and points instinctively. I mounted a set of Skinner sights on it, & love the peep sight. Out to a hundred yards, it's well within minute of black bear, and I have loaded up some stout rounds using Hornady Leverevolution 140gr. bullets & Titegroup. I've taken numerous coyote with it, and one juvenile bear; they all dropped like they were pole-axed. It's a great shooting like gun' head & shoulders it gets more shooting time than anything else in the safe