Why a Ranch Hand?

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
GasGuzzler

Re: Why a Ranch Hand?

Post by GasGuzzler »

Florida law doesn't matter much since we have the FED and BATF. It's illegal to have a short barrelled rifle unless you pay for the tax stamp and fill out the paperwork.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

*shrug* well even less of a reason to do it
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

GasGuzzler wrote:Florida law doesn't matter much since we have the FED and BATF. It's illegal to have a short barrelled rifle unless you pay for the tax stamp and fill out the paperwork.
I don't know about Florida law, I do know that California law and Federal law often conflict.
By CA law for example you must either purchase a lock (CA approved firearm safety device) with every firearm OR present a 'safe affidavit' stating that you have an approved container that meets certain minimum standards and that has room to completely enclose the new firearm you are purchasing.
ATF inspectors however have stated they don't believe in safe affidavits and that they will require a lock receipt for every purchase when they audit an FFL.

CA has minimum length requirements for long arms that exceed the federal requirements as well.
CA DoJ has all sorts of additional regulations and hoops you must jump through in order to purchase a firearm or even to maintain the legality of what you have already legally purchased. For example our political would be masters just passed additional laws requiring additional paperwork and registration, modifications at the owner's expense, surrender to law enforcement authorities, or forced sale outside the state, in order to maintain the legality of what we already own.

I am not certain but I think at least one state requires that M1 Carbines with the folding paratrooper stock be registered as handguns.

It MAY not matter what state law is depending on the state but in generally you'd better be in compliance with both Federal AND State statutes if you don't want to wind up with your tail in jail.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Yeah. I forgot some states are WORSE than the Fed.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
W84EM

Post by W84EM »

I really have no valid excuse other than I'm intrigued by them and have always wanted to shoot one and there's nothing quite like it except the Chiappa and Henry versions. I just bought one in 45 Colt and first priority is working on the sights.

Giddyup!
okstatefan

Post by okstatefan »

I was so glad to find an unfired, used example on a local trading sight. I've owned a 16 .357 stainless trapper for a few years and it is my favorite guns ever.

So I picked up a .357 Ranch Hand today. Unfortunately, it started raining and I couldn't get to the range. I did put a single point sling on it. I'll have to upgrade that but it does help with aiming. This thing is going to get the snot shot out of it.
CavScout

Post by CavScout »

GRV01 wrote:Sorry to dig up an older post but id just like to add the question, practically speaking what advantages does a 'mares leg' of any type have over a full size, long barrel revolver especially something like Taurus 608 with its 8 round capacity? Cool factor aside of course -- We all know a short lever wins all the style points
<snip>
Historically speaking, there is no practical advantage for a Mare's Leg Sidearm.
Otherwise, Winchester and Marlin would have put them into production. (Marlin made revolvers back in the day)

There may have been actual conversions as a salvage method for a Rifle or Carbine receiving barrel and stock damage from a fall?

All of the versions currently offered today were inspired by John Robinson, the Producer of an upcoming new TV Western... Wanted Dead or Alive in 1958.

He commissioned three unique sidearms fashioned out of shortened Winchester 1892 Saddle Carbines, and at least one Rifle (Octagon Barrel).

The late 50's had plenty of competition for TV Western Viewers. "Gimmick Guns" were a way get more notice!
Josh Randall's Mare's Leg... Lucas McCain's Rapid Fire Rifle... Wyatt Earp's 12" Buntline Special with attachable buttstock... Johnny Ringo's LeMat Revolver with central Shotgun Bore... Johnny Yuma's Sawed Off Shotgun.

Steve McQueen being an obsessive Method Actor "Made" the Mare's Leg a Practical Sidearm.
Steve was coached in Point-Shooting, and practiced with live 44-40 ammo. a gun magazine article during the time of the series says he could reliably shoot "Minute of Can" at ten to twenty yards!

Steve practiced fast draw and fanning the first shot with blanks to a point where he was able to outdraw several of the leading TV Western Actors of the time!

If an individual wants a practical sidearm, get one designed for the intended use.
If an individual wants a practical longarm, get one designed for the intended use.

If an individual wants a unique sidearm, and willing to dedicate the practice to make it practical, then a Mare's Leg may be more than just cool factor or TV nostalgia for you!
CavScout

Post by CavScout »

Just a quick bump for this thread...

Has anyone communicated with Rossi about:

1) Bringing back dropped offerings (Ranch Hand, Circuit Judge other than 45/410, etc.)
2) Offering Replacement Parts for Owner Purchase... possibly through VTI, etc.
3) Any other forecasts for what Rossi & related Companies will maintain as offerings?
4) Any forecast for future Partnerships, since losing Navy Arms and Legacy Sports?

Update... I just checked EMF... they are currently Out of Stock for Rossi 1892 Trapper Carbines and Short Rifles.

This thread is under the "Ranch Hand" category, so I'll throw in some relevant information...

The Mare's Leg (Laig) shortened 1892 sidearm originated with the Wanted Dead or Alive TV Western in 1958, starring Steve McQueen.

Here are a couple of Era Magazine Articles, from the same writer about this unique sidearm:
http://www.mcqueenonline.com/june1959tv ... rticle.htm
http://www.mcqueenonline.com/gunsquarterlyarticle.htm

And finnally, for those that complained about the Ranch Hand's Straight Grip, and its difficulty to get a sight picture...

Try one of these! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Thank you for those articles CavScout.
Back in 2006, I bought the George McQueen Farm here in southeast ky, Jackson/Clay county.
George McQueen settled this farm back around the 1760s, when he crossed the wilderness trail with Daniel Boone.
Part of the family later split off and moved to sounthern Indiana.
George McQueen was the 4th or 5th ( somewhere around there) great grand father of Steve McQueen.
CavScout

Post by CavScout »

Mad Trapper wrote:Thank you for those articles CavScout.
Back in 2006, I bought the George McQueen Farm here in southeast ky, Jackson/Clay county.
George McQueen settled this farm back around the 1760s, when he crossed the wilderness trail with Daniel Boone.
<snip>
We don't have history out here in Oregon that goes back that far.
We only have places named after people that came through here 50 or more years later!
Meriwether Lewis
William Clark
Jedidiah Smith
John C. Fremont
Kit Carson
John Jacob Astor
Joe Meek

I'm not aware of anybody notable being on my property.
But I do have an old 1878 Colt 10ga. Sawed-Off Shotgun that came off a Stagecoach that went through on a road about a mile North of my place.

An old Homesteader gave it to my Mom back when she bought his property about 60 years ago.
There is a Paul Drive on that property, named for me!
Mom gave me a one acre lot there for my High School Graduation.
35 years later, I gave my Son that lot for his Graduation from the same High School.
He sold it within 2 years! :cry:

I'm currently on a 7 acre lot within walking distance of that old 1 acre lot!
Fortunately there is an abundance of Forestry and BLM land around here to go exploring! :)
20160530 Group Shot.jpg
4 Rig Group at Hole in Ground.jpg
Fort Rock from Hole in the Ground.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.