Why a Ranch Hand?

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Why a Ranch Hand?

Post by Mad Trapper »

all kinds of history on that property.
And all kinds of Native American history also.
CavScout

Post by CavScout »

Mad Trapper wrote:all kinds of history on that property.
And all kinds of Native American history also.
Yes, that last photo showing Fort Rock is the area where they found Sage Sandals that Carbon Dated to 13,000 years old!
They were found in a cave on that arid High Desert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Rock_Cave

About 20 miles Northeast of my home is a Big Obsidian Flow, inside the Newberry Caldera.
Historians claim the Indians would go up there in the Summer and camp while crafting their obsidian Arrowheads, and other tools needed for the following year.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/oreg ... low/photos

Almost 60 years ago, we could walk that Fort Rock Desert after a rain, and find those obsidian crafts laying on the surface.
Most of those Private Collections have since migrated to various Interpretive Centers, and Museums for Public viewing.

By the way, I happen to be married to a card carrying 25% Cherokee!
Her Family still uses the old term "Indian".
Her Grandfather was a well known Full Blood Cherokee Artist, with paintings at the Smithsonian, and White House... George M. Cochran.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I remember my Grandfather telling me one time, that his Grandfather was Irish and a Confederate Officer, and his wife, my Grandfathers Grandmother, was full blood Cherokee and her name was America.
I talked with a Historian and he said during the Civil War a lot of Confederate officers took Cherokee wives since they allied during the war.
I had a great great Aunt that was Cherokee, she sat me down and showed me our Genealogy records one day, many decades ago.
But I was young and not paying much attention, someone should have smacked me upside the head.
Wish I had those days back again.