Unhappy report on Ranch Hand - *major* issue...

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
445gsd

Unhappy report on Ranch Hand - *major* issue...

Post by 445gsd »

I just purchased a Ranch Hand over the weekend. It was an impulse gun-show purchase, but I was initially very happy with the decision. I can’t say it wasn’t purchased without more than bit of trepidation based on all of the bad things I’ve heard about Rossi & Taurus quality over the years – but the gun seemed OK, felt great in the hands and I decided to go for it. I was even happier with the purchase after coming home and finding a number of positive reviews online.

Unfortunately the honeymoon is now over – before even shooting it :-(

I was dry firing the gun yesterday evening in a brightly lit room and I finally noticed something I can’t believe I missed from the get-go. The barrel is installed incorrectly, in that it is not indexed properly within the receiver. Both of the sights are leaning to the right when aiming down the gun. It is clear the barrel was not turned in far enough into the receiver to allow the sight dovetails to be at the 12 o’clock position. I think I would have noticed the issue much sooner with a rifle, but missed it on the handgun.

When I initially noticed the problem, I t thought it was something entirely different. When I would dry fire the gun, sometimes it would seem the hammer (after falling) would look slightly canted to the left. I noticed it once or twice and thought that maybe hammer was loose or fit sloppily to the receiver and simply leaning to one side. However, upon looking, I determined that this wasn’t the case. Not finding a problem with the hammer, I just assumed it was some sort of optical illusion related to lever actions. (this is my first) It turns out it was, but not in manner I was thinking...

After I continued noticing the “canted” hammer, I had to look closer as it was really starting to puzzle/bother me. After really examining the situation while aiming at window jamb, I finally discovered that I was naturally compensating for the lean of the sights by slightly rotating the rifle to the left (“minute of homeboy” style), and not even realizing I was doing it. Once the hammer would fall my eye would notice that it was not sitting vertical in relation to the sights, which is what initially led my thinking the hammer was the problem. The funny thing is HOW BAD the problem really is! I can’t believe that I didn’t notice it from the start. When I get home from work this evening I’m going to put an angle gauge on the receiver to see if I can measure the exact amount the barrel is off – but it is significant. Once you are aware of the problem and force yourself to ensure the gun is held vertical (say when aiming at a door jamb) the sights are actually unusable. I’m pretty embarrassed to have missed such an obvious flaw…

The dealer is being very good about taking it back and is going to exchange the gun for the other Ranch Hand he happens to have in stock. I just wanted to bring the issue up so that others are aware. For me personally, I’m extremely disappointed in the matter, but also thankful the dealer is standing behind the product he sold.

Personally, I’m not sure what the future holds for me and Rossi/Taurus firearms. I’ve heard mostly bad things about both lines for years and never expected that I’d ever purchase one of either. The gun sold itself however, and screams “FUN” and is just a joy to heft and work the lever on. I was also quite encouraged by the number of favorable cowboy action related Rossi m92 reviews I’d found online. I’d also come across several positive RH reviews and had actually started thinking that maybe I’d been too hard on Rossi/Taurus given that I’d never actually owned one. Now, due to this experience, I probably won’t ever take the chance on purchasing another. It’s a shame as I feel Taurus has come out with a number of unique, fun, trend setting firearms in the last few years. Had this worked out, my next purchase would have likely been a Circuit Judge, or a m92 rifle. Heck, I was even considering a 2nd RH. Unfortunately I can’t abide by shoddy manufacturing standards. If something this significant and obvious can make it out the door, I shudder to think of what could be lurking unseen elsewhere within the gun.

In the end, shame on me for missing the issue from the outset, but shame, shame on Rossi/Taurus ever letting such a jacked up gun leave their factory – it’s inexcusable.

YMMV.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Unhappy report on Ranch Hand - *major* issue...

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good thing that you purchased the firearm from an outfit that allows returns. This very issue is part of the forum's pre-purchase checklist: Braztech Rossi 92 pre-purchase inspection checklist

Welcome to the forum.
Michael
Conman

Post by Conman »

Hope it all works out for you. Nice dealer!!

However, even Smith and Wesson had some issues with barrels being just a little "crooked". So, it happens in the best of families!!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

445gsd wrote:but shame, shame on Rossi/Taurus ever letting such a jacked up gun leave their factory – it’s inexcusable.

YMMV.
Ranch Dog wrote:Good thing that you purchased the firearm from an outfit that allows returns. This very issue is part of the forum's pre-purchase checklist: Braztech Rossi 92 pre-purchase inspection checklist

Welcome to the forum.
I have 3 rules when it comes to buying Rossi firearms:

1) check them thoroughly before you buy them

2) check them thoroughly before you buy them

3) check them thoroughly before you buy them

And not just a visual check. Function test them as well with dummy ammo. If the dealer won't let you do that don't buy them especially if you're not dexterous or mechanically inclined. This applies doubly if your dealer doesn't have a written full refund including shipping/replacement including shipping return policy for defective products.

"Caveat emptor" .......buyer beware (applies in triplicate for Rossi buyers) because there is absolutely NO quality control whatsoever at the Rossi factory other than the requirement that the product fit in the shipping box. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Glad you got an exchange.
Beware dry firing without snap caps in place seems to have lead to bent or busted firing pins.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Every company has issues with their products. Some more than others. Like RD stated earlier you go through the check list when you pick it up. If you miss something you fix it yourself like most here do or send it back.

Don't get me wrong, what the original poster discovered is a major problem. It should have been caught by the factory, it wasn't. It should have been caught by the seller, it wasn't. It should have been caught by the buyer, it wasn't until after the fact.

Every gun manufacturer has a customer service department unless someone can point me to one that does not because they produce perfect firearms each and every time no exceptions. There is a reason for that, its because no matter how hard they try defects can and will make it past the inspectors at the end of the line.

This specific topic has been discussed many times over. Those of us who enjoy the products Rossi and Taurus make know walking through the door the fine attention to detail is not there. Are there companies that produce high quality firearms with very few issues? Yes there are, but if you think you are going to purchase that firearm at Rossi prices you are in for a shock or your buying that firearm in a dark ally and its hotter than a jalapeno

I have to give the seller of this original post a lot of credit. Whoever that person is they are a stand up guy IMHO.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Like I said before..........you can by a Rossi & do the quality control, inspection, fit & finish yourself OR pay Doug Turnbull, the boys at the Miroku, Chiappa, Pedersoli plants $1000 - $3000 to do it for you.

In the past I loved buying the Amadeo Rossi guns-in-the-raw and working on them. It allowed for a lot of creative license not afforded by the premium makes which are usually GTG NIB.

The only thing that has me turned-off buying BrazTech products is the restricted parts policy.

I can fix anything but I can't conjure parts outta the air & I won't let the hammer & dremel weilding neanderthals at Rossi CS get within a country mile of any of my guns.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

Glad he exchanged it. Some one mentioned S&W having that problem so has Ruger so it not is limited to Rossi. Funny the dealer did not notice it either. Now you might need to put a higher front sight on it I put a fiber optic one on mine and standard 3/8ths dove tailed sights fit. Some folks say no but they do fit. Once I got an issue fixed on mine with a replaced guide rail and put on a higher front sight I really like mine.