Buttstock Cover for Rossi Ranch Hand?

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Buttstock Cover for Rossi Ranch Hand?

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I will add... I've never understood how Braztech pushed Ranch Hand through as a handgun vs. SBS. I have never seen one fired but I cannot picture this being held up and shot single handed as a handgun. The certification states that it cannot be supported by any portion of the body, just one hand, so it is not intended to even rest against your thigh. One hand around the grip, lifting the firearm up to be sighted and fired. Amazing to me.
I'll let you fire that little 4 pound gun with full power 44 Mag cartridges and then I'll let you tell me why I put that padded sleeve over the butt plate. :shock:
That thing will hit you in the noggin like George Foreman if you get too close to it. :mrgreen:
Shooting without the pad is putting "brass knuckles" on Georges fist. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

Ranch Dog wrote:I will add... I've never understood how Braztech pushed Ranch Hand through as a handgun vs. SBS. I have never seen one fired but I cannot picture this being held up and shot single handed as a handgun. The certification states that it cannot be supported by any portion of the body, just one hand, so it is not intended to even rest against your thigh. One hand around the grip, lifting the firearm up to be sighted and fired. Amazing to me.

I do not know then how they can tell you how to shoot it? You can shoot regular handgun using a rest or a variety of ways.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jh45gun wrote:I do not know then how they can tell you how to shoot it? You can shoot regular handgun using a rest or a variety of ways.
That's why none of this speculation matters, it is simply a certification standard between the ATF and Braztech. What you do with your Ranch Hand "handgun" is your business until you remanufacture it. If I take my Taurus 450 and fix a forearm to it, I have problems. If I slip a golf head protector over the stock, I haven't remanufactured the arm. If I take the stock off my R92 and I put it on the Ranch Hand, I've remanufactured a SBR and I need to be licensed to do that.

This post has been very good for me because I took the time this afternoon to read the ATF's certification standards, definitions, and FAQs. Never done that. It also helped me understand a few other things. I've learned something today by reading the actual rules.
Michael
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

So your saying you could put a slip on butt pad on it and it would be legal as far as the BATF is concerned?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jh45gun wrote:So your saying you could put a slip on butt pad on it and it would be legal as far as the BATF is concerned?
I'm saying I read the rules and do not believe for a moment that a slip cover is remanufacturing a firearm. I do not own a Ranch Hand but if I did and was concerned about adding a slip cover, as concerned as you seem to be, I would drive down the 100 miles to my nearest Field Office and see what they said about it.

Make your own decision after you read the rules or visit with them to discuss your concerns.
Michael
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

It is just not me I posted this question at the Cast Boolits forum and Paco Kellys Lever gun forum. The General Consensus was it would be illegal and if it is legal it might be a fine line open to interpretation of the officer that might question you about it. As far as I am concerned it does not need a pad. In 45 colt the gun shoots accurately and is pleasant to shoot using my cast reloads and factory 125 grain jacketed soft point loads. Sights are an issue which I addressed in my latest post. Other calibers might be not as pleasant to shoot depending on load.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm another that does not give a rip about the "general consensus". The firearm is a pistol and a slip on grip does not change it's certification as such.

If it is illegal, millions of handgun shooters are in trouble. The Ranch Hand is no different than a 1911. That is how the BTAF certified it.

The internet can speculate all they want. The Ranch Hand is a handgun in the eyes of the BATF, they certified it as such.

All grammar and spelling errors courtesy of my DROIDX and Tapatalk!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

If the law/ goverment wants to pin somthing on you. You are S.O.L. they will do it through taxes or somthing I really doubt a pad on the pistol will change it unless you are screwing additional material like wood or metal to permanently lengthen the pistol. I think if they would go after you for this then you were already doing somthing to be on their radar anyways.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm not hunting in the morning so I will give my BTAF office a call and ask them.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:If the law/ goverment wants to pin somthing on you. You are S.O.L. they will do it through taxes or somthing I really doubt a pad on the pistol will change it unless you are screwing additional material like wood or metal to permanently lengthen the pistol. I think if they would go after you for this then you were already doing somthing to be on their radar anyways.
I feel like the guy who ignominiously released "some foul air" :oops: in a crowded elevator and then stood back with an innocent "butter wouldn't melt in his mouth" look on his face while the heated "who dun it?" accusations ensued.

Seriously guys:
I think this is a non-issue that has somehow got some traction as baseless conjecture generated by the rumor mill does from time to time and is fast resolved by a call to the BATFE field office.
Big Brother for American gun owners isn't here yet.
Maybe if will be in the future if certain political trends (the Obama administration) continue but thank Goodness it ain't here yet and the BATFE is still pretty reasonable in resolving these matters.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA