Buttstock Cover for Rossi Ranch Hand?

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
Meirbubba

Buttstock Cover for Rossi Ranch Hand?

Post by Meirbubba »

Does anybody know where I can purchase a Buttstock Cover for my Rossi Ranch Hand? I've been all over the Internet. Nada.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Buttstock Cover for Rossi Ranch Hand?

Post by pricedo »

Meirbubba wrote:Does anybody know where I can purchase a Buttstock Cover for my Rossi Ranch Hand? I've been all over the Internet. Nada.

I did the same fruitless search a few months ago and then decided to get innovative with some outside the box thinking.

I don't know about a butt stock cover per se but I used a heavy fabric nylon boot for a golf putter I purchased from a golf pro shop that fit over the stub of my .44 Mag Chiappa Takedown model Mare's Leg (which is similar to the Rossi Ranch hand except it can be disassembled into 3 parts) to act as a recoil pad.
The golf club boot was cleft above the toe in its natural state so that it allowed the lever to bottom out on the stock during cycling with no interference without any cutting, trimming or modification.
The heavy nylon fabric is quite elastic and the boot fit the ML stub very snugly & won't fall off. You'd think the thing was custom fit for the gun but it cost $10 at the golf shop.
The fabric is very thick & heavy and allows me to tuck the stub under my chin & rest it against my collar bone & get 1.5-2" groups at 50 yards with factory .44 Mag ammo.

I'm sure an outfit like Cochise Leather could be approached to make a custom lace up butt/stub cover with a recoil pad inside the bottom end & cartridge loops on the side but it will cost a wee bit more than $10.00.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

Not to rain on your parade but anything you do to make the gun easy to shoot from the shoulder is making it a short barreled rifle which is illegal. Since this is made to be a pistol doing any alteration to shoot from the shoulder is illegal and that includes slip on butt pad type stuff. If you leave the pistol as is and try to shoot it from the shoulder that is ok but any butt extension even a pad would be most likely illegal in the eyes of the BATF. This is the consensus of others as well as a guy on you tube posted a video where he made a butt pad for his and he was told by others it is illegal. I posted that video on two other forums asking opinions if it is illegal and that was the consensus of all that replied.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

jh45gun wrote:Not to rain on your parade but anything you do to make the gun easy to shoot from the shoulder is making it a short barreled rifle which is illegal. Since this is made to be a pistol doing any alteration to shoot from the shoulder is illegal and that includes slip on butt pad type stuff. If you leave the pistol as is and try to shoot it from the shoulder that is ok but any butt extension even a pad would be most likely illegal in the eyes of the BATF. This is the consensus of others as well as a guy on you tube posted a video where he made a butt pad for his and he was told by others it is illegal. I posted that video on two other forums asking opinions if it is illegal and that was the consensus of all that replied.
The online "Clarence Darrows", A/G Eric Holder and the Director of BATFE please pop a Valium and relax.
Legality has a WHERE component.
This gun was bought and designed for use in Canada as a belt holster carried self defense/sustenance tool where certain designated short barreled rifles and shotguns are considered non-restricted and legal to own and carry.
The Chiappa rifle pictured and described in my post is such a designated firearm (with or without the stump pad) by the RCMP and Canadian government. I have the Canadian documentation to prove it.
The shoulder pad is not used on the gun in the USA.
"Why not use a handgun?" you ask.
You don't take handguns into Canada cause if you're caught you will be an involuntary guest of Her Majesty for a very, very long time.
The Canadian Prime Minister himself could not get a permit to carry a handgun (considered a restricted firearm) in Canada anywhere other than at a government approved target range so I bought and scoped this Chiappa rifle as a wild animal defense/survival gun that I can legally carry during my mineral prospecting forays in the wilderness of CANADA.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I am licensed and can legally follow the lawful professional designation of a mining-geological engineer/geologist/mineral prospector because I am a dual American/Canadian citizen.

I have no intentions of experiencing either the American or Canadian criminal justice systems from the "client side" so I am very diligent about checking out the gun laws anywhere I travel before arming myself.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:I am licensed and can legally follow the lawful professional designation of a mining-geological engineer/geologist/mineral prospector because I am a dual American/Canadian citizen.

I have no intentions of experiencing either the American or Canadian criminal justice systems from the "client side" so I am very diligent about checking out the gun laws anywhere I travel before arming myself.
Reminds me of a time at the "Peace Arch" going into Canada from Washington on my way to Alaska where I was asked if I owned a handgun. I said yes but did my best to assure him I would never take it through Canada. Apparently just admitting ownership triggers a vehicle search, in this case a 29' motor home. The agent asked me if I had any handgun ammo and said if he found any it would trigger a much more exhaustive search. Didn't like the sound of that! From now on I never admit to them that I own any handgun, and if I really need to get a gun through Canada I have it mailed through the proper channels. Don't care for that level of vulnerability to any government.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

OK so your in Canada and legal wonderful! What I posted would be a good warning to those in the states because videos have surfaced on you tube of guys putting butt pads or extensions on Ranch Hands and Mares Leg type pistols. For that reason it was worth a reply and forum worthy.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

jh45gun wrote:OK so your in Canada and legal wonderful! What I posted would be a good warning to those in the states because videos have surfaced on you tube of guys putting butt pads or extensions on Ranch Hands and Mares Leg type pistols. For that reason it was worth a reply and forum worthy.
I use the gun in Canada and yes it is legal there and I'm not as certain as you are that it isn't legal in the United States.
Have you sought a professional opinion from a lawyer or perhaps the NRA legal department or BATFE about the legality of my slip-on cloth stump pad which is not quite the same thing as a hinged swing out butt plate extension permanently attached to the stump of the pistol before posting a warning of an "issue" that you have admitted is merely anecdotal consensus and hearsay formulated by unprofessional laypersons not schooled or experienced in the law?
Considering that we are bandying lay-opinions about I will add one more LAY-OPINION to the mix........mine.
The Chiappa is classified as a pistol in the United States but you are still allowed to fire it and I can't see why putting a cloth pad over the stump of a Mare's Leg pistol to prevent the shooter from getting injured from a very hard steel butt plate during recoil is somehow converting the gun to an illegal short barreled rifle. My slip-on fabric recoil pad is like putting a rubber hand-grip on a pistol and does not change it's legal status. It is not there to enhance the capabilities of the gun but just to protect the shooter.
Until you get a professional legal opinion from a lawyer, the NRA legal department or BATFE about this issue I'd refrain from "broadcasting' a warning which is just an anecdotal internet consensus and pure conjecture at this point.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I spent a bit of time on the ATF's web site reading the rules that certificate handguns this afternoon. From what I read you would have to remove the existing stock and install a completely new stock that was designed for the shoulder to change the certification status of this firearm. Of course at that point you become a manufacturer with some other requirements. There are all kinds of aftermarket pads, grips, back and fore straps designed to attach to the stock of traditional handguns and they don't change the certification status of the firearm. The plain and simple is this is a certified handgun in the US and you would need to remanufacture it to change it's certification status.

The thought of something that slips on changing the manufactured status is about as far fetched as an ATF agent observing you shooting the Ranch Hand with two hands, and then cuffing you and taking you to ATF land. That is what the certification requirements of handguns is, they are certified to be shot with one hand and nothing else. They would have a field day at a place like Front Sight. I've seen 1400 people attending training and every one of them shooting their handgun with two hands! Holy smokes!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I will add... I've never understood how Braztech pushed Ranch Hand through as a handgun vs. SBS. I have never seen one fired but I cannot picture this being held up and shot single handed as a handgun. The certification states that it cannot be supported by any portion of the body, just one hand, so it is not intended to even rest against your thigh. One hand around the grip, lifting the firearm up to be sighted and fired. Amazing to me.
Michael