Ranch Hand 44 Mag Report

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Ranch Hand 44 Mag Report

Post by Barry in IN »

I got a Ranch Hand .44 Mag about a month ago. Kinda surprised myself.

I am one of those Mr Practical types who has to justify every gun purchase with 37 reasons and uses. For a couple of years I have read and heard people come up with lots of reasons for a getting Ranch Hand, like to carry on an ATV or to stick in a certain cubbyhole of the truck, etc, and truthfully, some sound like they are really reaching for a good reason.
I admit it: I got mine for a toy. I didn't even try to justify it.

But it has surprised me. It might be a little more useful than I thought.

First, I found that I could shoot it from my shoulder. It isn't especially easy or natural, but it came be done. That alone elevated it up a little higher than "plaything". Then I found that it shoots really well. I've still only shot it twice, but it has impressed me each time.

Here is a cut and paste of my initial impressions from the first time out, before recording chrono data and measuring groups:

Early shooting observations:

Shooting it like a handgun:
-When shooting like a handgun, it shoots about like a handgun. Not really easier, maybe a little harder, but mostly just... different. Gets the hits about the same.
-Recoil is very mild, but it does jump a bit up front. Something about the balance or shape I guess. The forend rises and leaves my hand usually. I didn't hold it very hard there either because I didn't expect I needed to. I didn't change my grip there because I was shooting for groups and didn't want to alter my hold and throw it all off.
-It did feel a little funny to me because of the shooting hand's wrist angle. A slight curve to the grip would have made a big difference, I think.
-I want to say it was somewhat forgiving. There were times when I know I threw a shot, but it didn't look so bad on paper. Some guns are like that.

Shooting like a rifle:
-It isn't real easy, but can be done. Rifle-style, my accuracy increased enough to make it worth doing.
-I only had about 18 yards of clear space between the trees, so couldn't tell much, but could make one-hole groups standing up shooting it like a rifle. When shooting it like a handgun, even braced against a tree, it was more work to get even close to that.
-The muzzle blast is awful close when shouldered though. The muzzle is maybe 18" from my face. That would cause flinching long before recoil would.
-The little buttplate didn't beat me up, but I didn't shoot very heavy stuff that way either.
-The big thing about shooting it rifle style: The lever whacked my knuckles pretty good a couple of times. I didn't grip it normally when shouldered, and used more of a "pinch" with my thumb and middle finger.

-Will work on strong hand grip method for shooting from the shoulder if I pursue this. Perhaps gripping over the front/outside of the lever would work better. This is new ground here- I don't recall a chapter in Warren Page's "The Accurate Rifle" on the best way to shoot a Mare's Laig.

-As I read elsewhere, it shoots high. Even with the rear sight elevator removed completely, it was still a little high, but close enough then to work with (maybe one to two inches high).
When fired from the shoulder, it was dead-on. Interesting.

-Front sight has brass bead that's a little big. It wasn't bad when shooting as a handgun (but was still bigger than the rear sight notch) but was harder to use rifle style when it's closer to the eye.
-Rear sight is called a Buckhorn (it's really a semi-Buckhorn) which I never liked. Somehow, I can handle this one better than others, but I want it gone anyway.
Rear sight will probably get replaced with a plain flat-topped pistol-style. Although...that Steves Gunz peep that's made to replace the stupid bolt safety might be nice.

-About that stupid bolt safety:
I forgot it on the very first shot. Click.

-It doesn't like SWCs in Magnum brass. Too long OAL. The 44 Specials are shorter and worked OK with the 429421.
-Wadcutters are too short to function through it. Not that many but me would need to know that. They shoot nice though.
-Everything else worked fine.

-The loading gate stuck closed twice and had to be forced open. The first time was after shooting 300 grain XTPs and I thought recoil caused it (they were a little lively) but it happened once more with some more moderate ammo.

-Ejection was typical Winchester 92- up and out, just a little to the right, and flings them far enough if the lever is snapped open properly.
-No unusual case dents, dings, etc.

-There were no cases of the lever popping open in recoil or anything like that, which I've heard people wonder about.

-Naugahyde piece of decoration hanging from saddle ring has to go, because it got in the way a few times. It never stopped the lever from closing, but did get caught in my fingers or between my hand and the lever a few times.
-Actually, that thing might be a safety hazard, because I saw it get in close to the trigger once. I don't know if it's possible for it to trip the trigger as the lever is closed (ala Chuck Connors) but wouldn't rule it out. I started to take it off when I unpacked the gun, but decided to leave it on so the saddle ring wouldn't beat the receiver's bluing up. I plan on taking it off and putting a short wrap of leather on the ring.
Gotta leave the ring, though. It's part of the Josh Randall holster rig I need to make. I'm only half joking.

-Chrono speeds were as expected- Slower than my Ruger 77/44 carbine in most cases, but not all. I don't have a .44 Mag revolver now, but the .44 Spls were slightly faster than from my 5.5" Ruger.

Will measure groups and record chrono speeds later.

*******************************************************************************************************************
I did measure and record the groups and chrono data, and posted this:

OK, here's the tale of the tape.
This was at 18 yards, holding it more or less like a pistol, while leaning against a tree. No bench out in the woods.

First thing tried was one of my regular .44 Special loads- 8.0 800X and a cast 250 SWC (Lyman 429421). This runs just under 1,000 fps from a 5.5" Ruger revolver.
It ran just a hair faster from the Ranch Hand, at 1031.7 fps. The Ranch Hand's group was freakishly identical to the first group of the same load fired from the Ruger revolver: 1-5/8".

Next was another favorite of mine in 44 Spl- The same 250 SWC bullet with 7.7 grains of Power Pistol. It runs 855 fps from the Ruger, but went 1027.2 from the Ranch Hand. Group size 1-1/2"- again, almost identical to what the Blackhawk does, just a hair larger.

Now I jumped ahead to some Magnums. I tried a standard load in each of the three jacketed bullet weights I had handy- 200, 240, and 300 grains.
It had been shooting to the left and really high, so I made a sight change first. I whacked the rear sight to the right a little to correct deflection. The rear sight elevator was in the second notch up, so I removed it completely to correct elevation. I got it close after that, and left it alone although it could use some more fine tuning.

I suppose if one needed such a thing, the 200 grain load would be a good "show load" because of the concussion and fire that belched forth. Holy cow it made some noise. This was 28 grains of H110 and a 200 XTP.
According to the books, this should be good for somewhere in the upper 1700s in a revolver, and that's just what it did in the Ranch Hand. I had an average of 1771.6 fps. I yanked the second shot after the concussion from the first, making a 2-3/8" group, but the other four went into a tidy 1-1/4".

The 240 grain load was a pretty standard .44 Magnum load: 23.5 grains of H110 and a 240 Nosler JHP. This should go about 1400 fps in a 6" revolver. In my Ruger 77/44 carbine (18") it goes 1672 fps.
The Ranch Hand shot it at 1530.0 fps. 1-1/2"

The 300 grain load I used might be a little on the mild side regarding the powder charge. I haven't loaded much with 300 jacketed since I usually go to cast by then. It was 18 grains of H110 and a Hornady 300 XTP. In the Ruger 77/44, it runs 1292 fps.
Ranch Hand: 1206.8 fps and a 3-1/4" group. I can almost guarantee it would do better. I was a little jumpy on that one.

One more full power Magnum load. This is the one I use most in the Ruger 77/44. It's a cast wide flat nose Ranch Dog that weighs a sliver under 280 grains when cast of wheelweights. I load it with 22 grains of H110, which runs right at 1500 fps.
Ranch Hand: 1523.4 fps, and a 2-1/4" group.
It actually went a little faster than the average in the 18" barreled 77/44.

Some lighter stuff:
I load this same Ranch Dog bullet without a gas check for a "whisper" load in the 77/44. With 7.0 grains of Win 231, it goes just under 1,000 fps, shoots well, still hits plenty hard, and is quiet.
Ranch Hand: 992.7 fps I yanked one spoiling the group. Five made 2-3/4", but four went into 1-3/4".
I like that. Not as quiet as in the 77/44, but should be a good fun load.

Now a really light one I use in the .44 Spl revolver. This is a 113 wadcutter with 4.0 grains of Unique. In the revolver, it goes 570 fps and is like a .22 in recoil.
Ranch Hand: 574.6 fps and a 2" group. Quiet as a mouse. Too bad it won't cycle through the action.

Now two moderate loads.
These should run just 1200-1300 fps in a revolver. Both were loaded with 10.0 grains of Unique; one with a Saeco 428 240 grain TC/flat nose cast, and the other with a Lyman 429421 250 SWC cast. The 250 SWC was too long to feed well, but the 240 TC worked slick. That bullet shape loads into lever action loading ports real smooth and easy too. I had hoped the 240 TC with a powder charge similar to this would be a decent moderate power play load and I think it will be.
The 240 TC went 1330 fps and made a 2-1/4" group
The 250 SWC went 1281.3 and also 2-1/4"

Just out of curiosity, I shot the same 240 cast TC load again standing, unsupported, holding it like a rifle with the buttplate pulled in against my shoulder.
Five rounds went into 1-1/2", with four in one 3/4" hole.
Interesting. It was just one group, so statistically means little, but switching from shooting it handgun style and halfway rested to rifle style but standing unsupported cut the group by two thirds? That shows me its worth trying to work out a good rifle type hold.

Not owning a .44 Mag revolver, I can't really compare velocities. It sure was milder to shoot, though. One of the reasons I don't own a .44 Mag revolver is because I can't stand shooting them much with full power loads, and I'll admit it. From what I can see today, I could shoot this Ranch Hand all day with the full power ammo I tried.
The light, fast, 200 grain load would get old quick, but it's from the noise and blast right in front of my face rather than from recoil. I don't put much value on the "psychological effect" of a defensive gun or ammunition, but that load made it cross my mind. I can guarantee that if you light one of those off in a house, everybody there will pause for a second to figure out what just happened.

Comparing it to my Ruger 77/44 carbine, it did about what I expected I suppose. With my regular load for the 77/44, the Ranch Hand was actually a little faster, which did surprise me.

One last thought. It sure tore up the backstop.
I shoot into the dirt of a creek bank. There is a fallen tree along the creek bed, maybe six feet from my spot at the base of that bank. I leave my targets, staple gun, etc on this fallen tree so it's handy when I need it at the target stands. I use big sheets of brown Kraft paper for a target when I'm testing ammo, by hanging a large piece in front of a cardboard backer and putting aiming stickers all over it. When it's wet, mud will splatter from the backstop onto my stapler and gear, so out of habit, I lay my extra Kraft paper across these things whether it's wet or dry. When I got ready to go today, that paper was covered with globs of mud and dirt. A lot of it. It was about what I'd expect if it was pretty wet and muddy, but while moist out there now, I wouldn't call it muddy this time. The only time I've made that big a mess there was when testing 10MM or 38 Super, but when it was muddy.
In other words, there was more dirt thrown around from the .44 Ranch Hand than from the .45s, 10mms, 9mms, 38 Supers, and .44 Spls I usually shoot there. I don't know what that amounts to, if anything, but it was hard not to notice.

***********************************************************************************************************
Longer range, and some more work shooting it rifle-style:
Then I took it to the club range when I was shooting some other stuff on the rifle range. I put an extra target up at 50 yards- a single black paper plate (a little under 5" diameter) on a big piece of cardboard.

I couldn't believe it.
The gold bead front sight was almost invisible against the buff target paper for a 6:00 hold, but I fired one shot anyway. That's the high one at 12:00. I blacked the sight with the ever-handy Sharpie and shot the other four.
Holy cow.
Those four made a group a sixteenth over an inch.

The load was one my regular ones in the Ruger 77/44 (Ranch Dog 432-265 over H110). Probably the one I use most. When the 77/44 cracks two inches with it, it's doing pretty well.
That was the first group I shot from the bench. It was the last. I saw no need to tempt fate and continue, so I went to offhand.

And about that...
I was messing around with it the other day trying out ways to hold this thing. I keep thinking there is some method that will seem obvious once I trip over it. I thought I had it.
I found it was really steady if I simply held it as if it had a full stock. If I held it up in the same place it would be with a full stock and let the little piece of stock touch my cheek, it was really steady. With it held in both hands and the wood planted against my cheek for a third contact point,it was anchored well and kept it out far enough I could use the sights well, operate the lever normally, etc. It was a lot quicker, easier, and more natural feeling than scrunching up to get it to my shoulder or holding it out at arms' length. What could be wrong with that?

It hurts, that's what!

You see, when you shoot a 3-lb .44 Magnum with 280 grain bullets loaded to over 1700 fps, it moves some. I knew that. I had seen how it moved. I expected the same.
What I did was change the direction it moved by changing my hold. I didn't expect that. Not that much, anyway.

When held at arms' length, it didn't move rearward much. It mostly rotated upward instead.
But when you hold it so the stock touches your cheek but not your shoulder, it moves differently, which I might expect. I thought it might climb more, and maybe come back less. No, what it does is come back more, which I did not expect at all.
Not much more, but enough to take that thumb that's wrapped over the wrist of the stock...and slam it into the shooter's nose.
I didn't do it twice.
I think it will work fine with the thumb kept on the right side of the stock wrist.

And that is what i can tell you so far.
It shoots, and shoots well. It's just not like anything I'm used to, and I have to work out the best way to use it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ranch Hand 44 Mag Report

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wow Barry, very interesting report. Thanks for taking the time to put this together and posting it here!
Michael
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

No problem, and thank you. It's just some things I had posted on bits and pieces at a couple of places and didn't realize there was so much until I just saw it all together just now. It's mostly things I would have liked to know before.

I have more respect for it now, but still am not completely sure what I can/will use it for besides simple fun.

My wife, who has a general lack of interest in guns or anything else mechanical, saw it and said "At least I would know how to work that one from seeing cowboy movies". Hmmm. That is perhaps an avenue to be explored.

Nice forum here. I just ran across it today.
Nice mould designs you have too, Ranch Dog. As said in the above post, I've been using the 432-265 for a lot of different things. It has shot well in three different guns from 700 to 1700 fps.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for your comments about both the forum and my molds. I went ahead and split these three posts above into into a new topic as it will make it stand out if anyone where to do a search on the Ranch Hand or 44 Mag.
Michael
marstewart

Post by marstewart »

well it doesn't matter as long as the rifle you've got could be very useful to you like for self-defense and for fun such as hunting or shooting at the camp maybe.
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

Thanks, Barry! Very comprehensive write-up.

Dan
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Good job. I figured the Ranch Hand would give good velocities. Thanks for the info.
larryp

Post by larryp »

I've also shot my Ranch Hand by holding it like a normal rifle but I only shoot .44 specials out of mine as it's a companion for my Colt SAA. When held that way it can be very accurate and does feel natural.
This was about 30 yards holding it as above pic shows.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looking at that target tells me you have it figured out real well!

+guns
Michael
larryp

Post by larryp »

Thanks.