New Ranch Hand

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
cornbread

New Ranch Hand

Post by cornbread »

Only had it a couple weeks pretty slick action out of the box fit an finish good.They only had 38's when I picked it up, Blazer 158gr. FMJ they cycle good an it shot about a foot high like everyone else's did. I knocked out the front sight took torch an a clothes hanger an took it up to about .530 (battery dead in caliper) so guessed at it. Got some 357's Win.110gr. JHP they cycle through it like butter,But putting them in the loadin gate is a bear they go in easy till about 85 percent then just hit solid really have to work them to get them on in any suggesting on this would help me I have not broke it down yet wanted to get a little wear on it before I took it down to polish.But be sure its a hoot to shoot.
cornbread

Re: New Ranch Hand

Post by cornbread »

I would like to thank all for lookin, I got it fixed +guns
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Sorry I did not see your post. What did you do to fix your issue?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:Sorry I did not see your post. What did you do to fix your issue?
Same here, somehow I missed this as well. Please post a fix so the next fellow can learn from you!
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I will assume you added some height to the front sight using a clothes hanger as a bead to the front sight. Your loading issues are more than likely the gate spring needs some work. Do a search on the site there are quite a few post that address that issue.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

cornbread

Post by cornbread »

Well it was pretty easy fix just had to wait on the mail, ordered a magazine follower from The Smith Shop dropped it in the box fri. put it in my gun tue. that was fast. 357's slid right in. no more problem I know we live in a perfect world but plastic doesn't belong in a gun.In a oily environment its going to swell or crack sooner or later. The gate is very easy to push in, the shell would go in almost to the rim then hang I guess that plastic follower would turn side ways a little then bind up, had to. No I used the cloths hanger to build up the front sight to abt. .530 ht. I then filed a little notch in the front an used some silver solder (hvac) type an made me a bead but I wish I had just done brass I could prob. see it better.Also I would like to know if anyone has used a LO-Pro Sight from Skinner Sights on a Ranch Hand with the short radius the sights are a little fuzzy to my ageing eyes. Thanks for looking. +guns I like this little guy
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

cornbread wrote:Well it was pretty easy fix just had to wait on the mail, ordered a magazine follower from The Smith Shop dropped it in the box fri. put it in my gun tue. that was fast. 357's slid right in. no more problem I know we live in a perfect world but plastic doesn't belong in a gun.In a oily environment its going to swell or crack sooner or later. The gate is very easy to push in, the shell would go in almost to the rim then hang I guess that plastic follower would turn side ways a little then bind up, had to. No I used the cloths hanger to build up the front sight to abt. .530 ht. I then filed a little notch in the front an used some silver solder (hvac) type an made me a bead but I wish I had just done brass I could prob. see it better.Also I would like to know if anyone has used a LO-Pro Sight from Skinner Sights on a Ranch Hand with the short radius the sights are a little fuzzy to my ageing eyes. Thanks for looking. +guns I like this little guy
Sorry I also missed your post but also suggest you get his stainless magazine spring also. Put one in my 45 Colt 92 and love it though I am using a Steve Gunz stainless magazine follower. I do have the Smithshop follower in my Rio Grand 45-70 though. I working on him to make a spring for it also.
Joe
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I figured you stacked small pieces to build it up. Another option is Skinner Sights sells a really high front sight and you file it down to fit your needs.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

cornbread

Post by cornbread »

Yea thanks I would like to get one of those green fire sights once I settle on a rear sight, work in process