The Official Ranch Hand Photo Topic!

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Official Ranch Hand Photo Topic!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice! Tell us what they are!
Michael
gunbunnies

Post by gunbunnies »

Well the rifles per say... Would be from left to right... First being a Ruger 77/357. Next up would be a Marlin 1894SS Stainless lever gun. Then of course the little Rossi 92 Ranch Hand. The handguns from left to right would be a Beretta Stampede 7 1/2 inch and then a 2 inch Smith model 10-5, and finally a Smith & Wesson R8 8 shot N frame. All the firearms in the picture are either 38 spcl or 357 magnum... Hope you guys enjoy the pic...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

How is that Ruger 77/357 working for you. I often think about buying a 77/44, especially when I see one with a wood stock. Honestly, everything I do here on the ranch could be done with that single cartridge.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:How is that Ruger 77/357 working for you. I often think about buying a 77/44, especially when I see one with a wood stock. Honestly, everything I do here on the ranch could be done with that single cartridge.
I have the Ruger 77/44s sibling the lever action Ruger 96/44.........good shooter, smooth cycling, good accuracy with the Bushnell 1.75-5x33mm Trophy scope that sits on it.
I think the Ruger 77/44 bolt action is still made. The 96/44 levergun was discontinued a few years ago.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
gunbunnies

Post by gunbunnies »

Sorry about the delay in posting... Had a big photo shoot this weekend and a lot of stuff to get together for it to all come together. We used the Rossi Ranch Hand in the shot soooo I'll post another shot of her in a couple days...

As to the Ruger 77/357, I really enjoy this little rifle. It's very accurate, light weight and handles very nice. Plus it uses one of my favorite pistol rounds.... and deer legal here in Indiana to boot. I put a 3X9 by 40 Nikon Rifleman scope on her and at 25 yards I can get everything at the same poi poa, but as we move out to the 100 yard range I get about a 8 inch drop from the 38 spcl's versus the 357 mag's. Buffalo Bores 180 grain 357 mag bear load really thumps in this light weight configuration. I'm hoping to use low end 38's on squirrel this fall and if I get the time maybe try her out on deer season... The magazines are about 35 bucks and out of the three ones I bought I had to do some fitting on one of them. It would fit real snug and be hard to eject when needed... alittle filing smoothed it up. I don't think you can go wrong with this little rifle...
WastelandWrangler

Post by WastelandWrangler »

Howdy folks! This is my first post here and I wanted to show off my new Ranch Hand. I purchased this last Monday and I have already installed a Lee Gunslinger Spring Kit, and some skinner brass sights. Those two purchases were made as soon as I got home from the range . The action was horrible and the sights where completely off target at 15 yards. So now I got her tuned up and shooting right. Still hitting a bit high but I'm slowly filing down the front sight. More upgrades to come, including some nice leather, the metal follower and a safety delete. Let me know what ya think of my progress so far!

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

WastelandWrangler wrote:Let me know what ya think of my progress so far!
I think it is very nice! Welcome to the forum! What cartridge is your RH chambered in?
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

WastelandWrangler wrote: Still hitting a bit high but I'm slowly filing down the front sight.
Great looking rig Wasteland!!! Also welcome aboard.......

If it is still hitting a bit high don't file on the front sight any more. That will make it shoot even higher. I forget all the time which way to go..... :lol: I keep thinking one of these days I will write down some cheat notes what adjustments do what. Don't forget you do have some adjustment on that Skinner rear sight.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

Yes! If the gun is shooting high, then the front sight needs to be taller so stop filing!
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:
WastelandWrangler wrote: Still hitting a bit high but I'm slowly filing down the front sight.
Great looking rig Wasteland!!! Also welcome aboard.......

If it is still hitting a bit high don't file on the front sight any more. That will make it shoot even higher. I forget all the time which way to go..... :lol: I keep thinking one of these days I will write down some cheat notes what adjustments do what. Don't forget you do have some adjustment on that Skinner rear sight.
The trigonometry of the situation dictates that the POI (point of impact) will move in the same direction as you move the BACK (closest to the receiver) sight and OPPOSITE to the direction you move the FRONT (closest to the muzzle). This direct relationship applies to both windage & elevation adjustments.

If you move the back sight up the POI will move up, if you move the back sight right the POI will move right.

The relationships for the front sight are exactly the OPPOSITE. The POI moves in the OPPOSITE direction you move the bead or focal point on the front sight.

By whittling down the front sight you have moved the POI in the upwards direction......you have been working counter-purpose to your intention.

That news should just about make your day........SORRY !

Blame Euclid :twisted: & Pythagoras :twisted: .
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA